My Girls are So Smart!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by STLchicken-chick, Dec 1, 2011.

1. STLchicken-chick

STLchicken-chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Now that it's getting cold, I bought a plastic dog crate for my girl's open air coop (the shipping crate type with plenty of ventilation). I put it up on blocks about 1.5 ft off the ground and built some roosts to go inside. My girls are about 6.5 months old and have been sleeping on a pile in the corner. They never used the roost they had in the coop so I didn't know how they would take to the new setup. I locked them in the new kennel the first two nights (partly because the neighbor was complaining about the noise in the early morning). Well I get home after dark last night and couldn't have been more surprised when my girls had put themselves to bed in the new kennel/coop! Maybe I'm crazy but I was so happy and thought that was amazing for them to get the new routine by the third night! Guess they approved. I LOVE MY GIRLS [​IMG]

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Haha that's one reason I love chickens. I like that they are diurnal like us, and I love the fact that they put themselves to bed every eveninig, it's SO cute watching them vie for just the right spot on the roosts. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    One of the many good things our chickens do to make us happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by