My girls are the preditors!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stormylady, Jun 26, 2011.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I sooo.... wish I had a picture! I was sitting out side the other morning and kept hearing thudding in the coop at first I thought the girls were having an altercation but no squaking or screaming?? Hmm well it went on for about 10 /15 mins and it finially got the best of me so I went and opened the big door and looked in and there were 5 girls all attacking a 3 ft. long fat bodies, garderner or rat snake not sure which. (LOL)
    The girls were taking turns jumping on and pecking the snake it was in shreds! and right behind the girls stood Zuesy! My huge Blue Orpington Roo looking like the Regal Lion letting all the women do all the work sitting there looking so at ease. LOL it was funny, when the girls were satisfied that the poor creature was suffiently dead enough for them and walked away I went in and picked it up and disposed of it. I have seen them kill and eat smaller snakes alone from time to time but they worked in a pack, I no longer have a flock of chickens, I call them my pride of chickens! LOL

2. VNH

VNH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    That reminds me of the scene in "Jurassic Park" where the flock of cute little dinosaurs ate the bad guy.

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Yeah kinda, glad to know my girls can take care of at least snakes on their own though!! LOL Zues is usually very good protecter and on call for them, but quess he thought the girls had this one handled! LOL

4. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    We call ours "Little Raptors" as when we give them scraps of steak fat or bits of left over meat they are all over it and running around after one another to get a piece!

Good for your hens!

5. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    Haha [​IMG] ! Yea, my chickens act the same way [​IMG] they even go after our cat sometimes! [​IMG] We have alot of mice in the storage area of my coop (its an old, old building that has alot of holes) and whenever i find a mouse, i give it to the girls, and they go crazy after it, fighting eachother for it, chasing eachother, its hilarious! [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Last weekend one of my birds caught a small snake, maybe about ten inches long. The other girls saw her with it and they ripped it to pieces and ate it in about a minute.

Aren't you glad chickens don't come twenty feet tall?

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    We have been noticing a lot of snakes on our property this year. (Well, OK, the DW has been noticing them now that she spends more time out in the sheds with our new animals.) My son has been put on patrol, but I am starting to think we may just have to let the girls have free run of the yard. [​IMG]

8. JulieFS

JulieFS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Freeport, Michigan
    Quote:HA! That's exactly what I imagined!!!

9. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    A.T. Hagan :

Last weekend one of my birds caught a small snake, maybe about ten inches long. The other girls saw her with it and they ripped it to pieces and ate it in about a minute.

Aren't you glad chickens don't come twenty feet tall?

Ten feet maybe not, but I have seen a 6 foot man eating chicken before. I'll post a pick if you don't believe me! ; )​

10. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    This makes me think of a special on the discovery channel I saw about a pre-historic bird called the Terror Bird, which could easily have taken down humans.

I was out in the pen with my 5 BCM pullets and they all decided to start trying to peck at my toes (note to self to stop wearing flip flops in the pen) I had to keep chasing them away. It did occur to me that if I had a heart attack and died in there, they'd probably eat me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by