My girls aren't laying :(

CASTSTACJMM

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
I have 3 hens and 3 female ducks that I got when they were maybe 2 days old on April 2nd and none of them are laying yet and I'm getting worried because first I read that they should start laying at 20 weeks, then someone else told me 5-7 months.
Also, I have a female duck that is over 1 year old who was laying eggs, but now she has stopped and that is kind of worrying me too :(
If anyone can help me or give me suggestions it would be very much appreciated!

I don't know about ducks, if they are like the chickens maybe moulting? but as far as the chicks, it depends on the breed. Some I have heard starting at 16 weeks like leghorns and cochins and silkies can wait until well into their 8th month before laying. There was someone on here that had a hen wait a year until laying anything. It would be helpful if you tell us what kind of chickens you have and maybe a pic or two. Do they have red around their face? Do they squat down when you are approching them? Do they talk alot? What are they eating? Do they free range? Some of the answers to the questions will help someone with alot of chicken knowledge give you a better answer and helpful advice
wink.png

I have 2 Buff Orpington pullets and an Austrolorp pullet, as well as an Easter Egger Cockerel that were born at the end March, I also have a Faverol but I'm unsure as to her age because she was found by my uncle and brought to me, also I have a leghorn rooster that's well over a year old(he's in a cage by himself because he doesn't like the ducks, if that helps at all). The girls have a little red around there face but not a lot. They don't squat when you walk up to you, they just stand there or walk away. They talk a lot, more so when it's feeding time. They are on layer feed. Their fenced in one large area with the ducks so they don't bother the neighbors. The girls don't really seem to be molting, they do loose, like, a feather everyday, the ducks though, seem to be molting like crazy. 3 of my ducks were born at the same time as the chickens, I have 2 Pekin females and an Indian runner female. I also have an Indian runner female that is over a year old or so and she has stopped laying eggs for some reason. Along with them we have 2 Indian runner males, one is over a year old and the other is the same age as the chickens. I hope this all helps, I will try to get pictures as soon as possible.

I think the breeds you have are ones that start laying later than earlier. When they are ready to lay they will have very red combs and wattles and even around their eyes will be red. Not all hens squat but some do and that's another sign. It sounds like they aren't mature enough yet. As far as the one that is a year old, she could be molting. Id check for feather loss around her neck and back or maybe she's just taking a break as the weather is changing. I don't know where you live but some hens don't lay during cold winter like temps.

I think the breeds you have are ones that start laying later than earlier. When they are ready to lay they will have very red combs and wattles and even around their eyes will be red. Not all hens squat but some do and that's another sign. It sounds like they aren't mature enough yet. As far as the one that is a year old, she could be molting. Id check for feather loss around her neck and back or maybe she's just taking a break as the weather is changing. I don't know where you live but some hens don't lay during cold winter like temps.

X2. Some breeds lay early, like white Leghorns and sex links. You can usually expect a first egg by 20 weeks with those, but not always. Others start later. Since your hens' combs haven't reddened yet, that's sure sign that they're not mature enough to lay yet.

I also agree on the duck. :)

My ducks seem to be molting, that's evident because of all the duck feathers, but the hens on the other hand, its a mystery. they all have red faces and redding combs now, (some days the comb looks read and others it looks a dark pink) and one of them 's pelvic bone is even wide enough to fit an egg through, but there still no eggs, what's also strange is that my 2 buff's like to sit on top of their coop with the Easter Egger at night, i have very rarely seen them actually go inside the coop. I'm just hoping none of them have an egg stuck :(

Back
Top Bottom