My girls decided to sleep in the tree in the pen....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by baldie, Oct 28, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Over the summer a few of my girls decided they liked the pine tree in the pen rather than the coop. That was all fine and dandy when it was warm. BUT now its getting cold and wet. They still stay in the tree. They go up pretty high, so I cant really get them out easily. Does anyone know if they will go in the coop again once it gets really cold or am I going to have to fix this myself? I dont like them getting wet, but whats worse is wet and cold.

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i recently saw a post in another thread that stated how to fix this... it involved well aimed pinecones....

[​IMG]

just made me laugh again to read this.. like i laughed when someone threw pinecones at their hens to get them out of the tree....

i don't have enough experience to really be helpful here.. sorry...

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Okay, I answered my own question. It was one heck of a rainy day here and when I went to lock everyone up, three of the tree sleepers were in the coop!! [​IMG] So now there are only 2 in the tree. Hopefully they will follow their friend and do the same. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by