My Girls Did The Squat!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Lothiriel, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Penelope and Iris did the squat today!!! I just reached out to pet them... and they squatted!!!! I'm just so darn excited..... [​IMG] They're 18 weeks... [​IMG]
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I see eggs in your future.[​IMG]
  3. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Moro did The Squat today! [​IMG]
  4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations! Sending "egg vibes" your way [​IMG]
  5. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I am new to chickens. I have 4. What does it look like when they do that? When I pet my girls, it looks like they are going to lay down...

I know, thats a stupid question.
  6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    They put their shoulders out (kind of like they do when they're hot) and halfway lay down, and get all tense. It's instinct, like bracing themselves to hold the weight of the rooster when he mates them. Sounds like your girls are doing it! [​IMG]
  7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congratulations! Get your egg cartons ready! Eggs will be coming very soon! [​IMG]
  8. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    After I got my rooster my girls stopped doing the squat for me. This is fine, except now they are really hard to catch!
  9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I LOVE when they squat! They all do it so differently too! Some will stamp their feet and get ready. Others will crouch tentatively, and some lay right down calmly. I have 20 chickens, and one juvenile banty roo. The big girls don't take him seriously at all, and he hasn't figured out what he's doing yet, so the bantams think he's a bully and they would ALL much rather have ME as their rooster. I caress them lovingly and pull their tail feathers a bit and then they're off again, with a quick shake n wiggle.
  10. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I think it's hilarious when I go to pick them up and the hen squats. Makes it easier to catch her!! And I have 5 Roos in the coop. One is plenty old enough to breed and is still not interested. He doesn't know what he is missing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by