My girls don't like flax seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by neilgal, Aug 23, 2010.

1. neilgal

neilgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I have tried to get them use to eat flax seeds for the last two weeks, but they still not crazy about it .
    I wonder if they ever going to like it.[​IMG]

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Do you ever soak your flax seeds? I bet they'll like them then. I'd put about 1/2 cup seeds to 1 cup of water. They get kinda like 'jelly'. Its actually easier on their digestion.

3. neilgal

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Thanks, good idea i'll try that.

4. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I'm thinking of using ground flax seed just mixed in with the feed. Wouldn't that work okay? My girls are just 3 and 4 mo old but I thought maybe when I start giving the layer feed I could mix in a bag of ground flax seed and they'll get it in their feed. What do you think? I'd be hesitant to soak seeds unless I did it every time I feed because the expanded seed would go bad or be mushy if not consumed right away. I'm very new to this and open to new info. Thanks!

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Mine don't care for whole seed either. I will try the soaked version on them.

6. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    I sometimes mix the seeds in with their yogurt. They'll eat just about anything when it's covered in yogurt.

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    You can't feed whole flax seed. It has to be ground in order to have any benefit. The shell does not break down in animals or humans. If you have a grinder...... coffee grinder will work....... and grind the flaxseed you will have better luck feeding your animals. Good luck.

8. neilgal

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    OK tried it .
    Soaking the seeds in water woks wonder, the shell become soft like jelly , and the girls was all over it, they consumed it in no time.
    You have a point Crj, I'll try to grind it next time.
    [​IMG]

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    You can grind them, too but I always thought that they got ground up in the crop.

When I make flax crackers in a dehydrator, I soak my seeds first so they get 'jelly like' and then put them in a blender just to break them up. If you spread them fairly thin, they dry and make great crackers for dip.

10. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    The flaxseed debate has been done to death on horse forums. Whole versus ground.
    I always have fed whole soaked flax and it is digested. I put mine in the horse feed and in the chicken's porridge.
    No flaxseeds sprout from the chicken droppings or the horse manure.
    That jelly (mucilage) is really good for them and it softens the flaxseed shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by