My girls don't like treats :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom25, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I keep putting treats in with my 6 and 8 week olds and most of them are ignored,,, raspberries, strawberries ( guess my garden will be safe), overcooked green beans, yoghurt. Makes it hard to get them to come to us when they don't want goodies.. Spaghetti squash is about all I have found they love. Anyone else with this problem.. I have a whtie rock, barred rock, orpington, a red and and I dont know what.

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Just keep trying. Some chickens are a little difficult to give treats to - but I warn ye, once they start, they won't stop. Try mixing in the treats with their regular feed first. If that doesn't work, try giving it to them from your fingers/hands. One chicken will surely get brave enough. I sometimes will just put the treats in there and then go away. When I come back they have usually finished already. Also some chickens are pickier than others. I have a hatchery Delaware that will eat just about anything you put in front of her. [​IMG] Then I have a couple of EE's that are always wary of what I have. But once that Delaware starts munching, the rest know what to do. It's like she's their guinea pig.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Same here. I can't get my 3 1/2 month olds to eat anything strange! They are very leary of anything new I introduce. Some of the things get eaten and some don't. It just takes time. Keep offering new foods and eventually they may eat them with gusto! [​IMG]

4. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I had the same problem but then they started to eat things as they got older. They are 10 weeks now and love blueberries, oats, and (oddly) bologna. They stampede for the darn stuff. [​IMG]

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My chicks 1.5 weeks ago refused watermelon. Today they devoured pasta. They are 7.5 weeks old currently.

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    they're 2 months old. try getting a 2 year old human to eat some adult food [​IMG]

7. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I had that problem until I bought some dried mealworms, and they went NUTS for those. Then I discovered they loved oatmeal, and BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). Once they learned I am the "treat lady' and give good stuff, they would start to take watermelon, yogurt, and other healthy fruits/veggies. They still don't like strawberries, or green beans. Or squash. Or tomatoes. But I keep trying new things. Maybe try some mealworms until they learn you are the treat giver?

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Raisins are chicken crack! Totally agree with the poster that said mix it with their regular feed first.

9. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    I got mine to eat yogurt today for the first time by sprinkling some of their regular crumbles on top while they watched. They went for the crumbles, and in doing so accidentally discovered they stuff underneath was edible too. It disappeared in no time. [​IMG]

10. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    My babies love peas!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by