My girls first day out

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
My 2 turkey hens got to enjoy the back yard today. I let them out of there pen. They have been here for about 2 weeks. It's getting a little crazy around here now. The 2 turkey hens are very curious and fun to watch. Love the different sounds they make. It seems as though they took to my young rooster Jr. which was really nice to see. Jr. is on the bottom of the pecking order, an only chick with no friends except for the turkey hens. It was very sweet. I guess he hung around there pen and kept the girls company. Jr enjoyed there company it was something new for him. I do have some young roosters, about 4 or 5 months old. Yeah, they started crowing......... trying at least but 2 actually had the nerve to try and mate with one of the turkeys. Can you believe that???? The little chicken tried to get at the turkey that was almost twice there size. Two separate times mind you. She wouldn't have any of it. Funny to see. The girls are young too, I think 6 months maybe 7. This is going to be an interesting week. BTW, I am trying to get rid of all these roosters............. ugh. If it wasn't for my husband passing away they would be in freezer came right now!

I can just picture the roo trying to mate the turkey...
lau.gif
hugs.gif
and sorry about your hubby!

They will entertain you. Mine will stare at a dropped glove forever.

Really? That's too funny. I let them out only for a little while today. I'm glad they are friendly towards the chickens but they seem facinated with the ducks. The ducks are interested in them too but from a distance. Now, to see if they are more entertaining then my runner ducks. This should be interesting. I will have them out longer tomorrow so I should see some good stuff........... hahaha. Makes me wonder why I didn't get birds sooner. I'm waiting for my mini horse to see the turkeys. That should be good.​

My 2 turkey hens came out today also. It was almost 40 degrees here in Michigan. I covered a 8 x8 dog kennel with chicken wire so the hens wouldn't fly out and put a huge branch in there for them to roost on. Now I can watch them from the house while the kids and I eat breakfast.
big_smile.png

I can't wait for spring when I can let them out in the chicken run! Right now it's too snowy.

My 2 girls were out free ranging again. They seem to really like it and do get along well with the chickens. Once in a while a hen (chicken) will get annoyed at a turkey hen and start fighting. Man, ballzy little birds. This happened more then once. Kind of funny to watch a turkey and a hen go at it. They didn't fight terribly, fluffed the feathers and kicked at each other. Funny how the turkey never has hard feelings. The chickens seemed to walk off in a huff........ haha. Overall, for new birds to the free ranging flock of chickens I'm rather surprised and quite happy that they all get a long. Even with the ducks. They don't seem bothered by the dogs either. Funny how you can look at the turkey and find it skulking around looking like a vulture...... They are Bronze turkeys

Back
Top Bottom