My Girls Found a New Place to Dustbathe!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by schmije, Mar 7, 2009.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Yes, that's four of them lined up in my flower pots. The guilty parties are (L-R) Isabelle, Gertrude, Josephine & Phyllis. They kicked dirt EVERYWHERE on the porch.

What are some funny places that your chickens have found to dustbathe? Show pics!

[​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Priceless pic!!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    That's a day at the spa!!

Here are my girls, when they discovered the pots I've moved from the utility porch outside, FULL of dry, dusty dirt. They were in heaven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I relented, unstacked the pots, and let the girls just go for it:
    [​IMG]

4. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    those are fantastic!!! great pics. beautiful birds too.

5. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Those are awesome and a great idea too [​IMG]

6. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    lol how cute!

7. Silkiemama

Silkiemama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    S.E. Ohio
    Great pics! I have a good dust bath story. Here goes:) We have beautiful White Silkies which are alot of work to keep clean. When our first County Fair was approaching, we followed all the recommendations from our local County Extension Office to ensure our birds were in tip-top condition for showing; they'd been debugged; bathed twice (a feat in itself), rinsed with bluing & blow dried; their feet and leg feathers had been completey scrubbed and de-pooped (!); nails clipped; we even used a wash cloth to wash their faces! They were picture perfect. When we arrived at the Fair, we discovered some of the other's who were in the fancy chicken competition had these big tack boxes full of all kinds of helpful accessories, such as "Chicken Sheen" & blow dryers & baby wipes & vaseline. We had a bucket, a roll of paper towels, and hand sanitizer. We had a long wait on the first day of judging for our category and it was really hot and humid. Just before our breed was called, our chickens decided to take a dust bath in the sawdust in their cage. They looked filthy!!! Thinking fast, we took each one out, and blew the dust off as they were going to the judging table! By the time our Roo was called back, his feathers had finally fluffed back into place, and the judge asked if he was the same bird!!! We still laugh about it - even though it was pretty horrifying at the time!!!! LOL!!!

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

I love all those photos!

I've been trying to figure out what to do about a couple of my big pots. I really need them in front, to get enough sun, but my darn girls were bad last year! [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I laughed when I saw those pics! So cute and absolutely hilarious! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    [​IMG] Those are all so great!! Pictures and story! Mine don't dust bathe in funny places sadly, so I have none to share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by