my girls got maggots for the first time

irish44395

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
Gulfport, FL.
My maggot is starting to produce, I been snap trapping mice and throwing them in the bucket . there were just a few in the catch so I dumped them in the coop they were in a little saw dust and 5 min later there was just bare dirt . now when I get more I know they will gobble them up
Pete

That's gross, but love the idea. :idunno Don't get me wrong. I have an iron stomach. Can handle most gross things, dead carcass, infected wounds, rotting whatever. But maggots make me want to barf lol

I am not big on them other than they are cheap food and easy to get . To my surprise the odor wasn't that bad,the pine shavings in the bucket helped and the maggots in the saw dust were hard to see and just look like the a saw dust was moving
Pete

I am not big on them other than they are cheap food and easy to get . To my surprise the odor wasn't that bad,the pine shavings in the bucket helped and the maggots in the saw dust were hard to see and just look like the a saw dust was moving
Pete
How is your set up for that? Can you post a picture? I seen people use 5 gallon buckets.

I use two 5 gal buckets I'll post picture later this after noon , the first bucket you drill 1/2" holes in the bottom and a few one inch holes around the top . I place four pieces of !/2" tubing on the edge of the bottom bucket to help give space between the buckets and make it easy to pull apart. The top bucket put in 2 to 3 " of pine shavings put in old meat or a dead rat (what I use) and put in more pine shavings and the lid pace away from house (to keep the wife from smelling it) and wait a few days .
Pete

I hate to ask questions like this in forums for being misunderstood as being condescending, which happens frequently here, but I was wondering if the sawdust and whatever else is in there (fermented rats?) is healthy for the birds?
I would like to attempt this after hearing more about the health factors.

here are some pic of my set up
20200923_121432.jpg
20200923_121411.jpg
20200923_121343.jpg

I hate to ask questions like this in forums for being misunderstood as being condescending, which happens frequently here, but I was wondering if the sawdust and whatever else is in there (fermented rats?) is healthy for the birds?
I don't think the chickens will eat the saw dust the rat wasn't poison, kill with a snap trap. going to use oat meal the next time you just have to have the maggots drop in to something dry so they can't craw out .
Pete

The rats stay above. The grown maggots fall through the holes!

Back
Top Bottom