My girls have been molting for a year!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bideawhile, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Bideawhile

Bideawhile New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    This is my first experience with chickens. I love my girls....7 Buff Orpingtons. They began molting last August and haven't stopped. They look terrible. I've checked for mites....no signs. They eat well but their laying has diminished to about one or two eggs a day. THEN last week one of the girls lost the colour in her comb and began to fail. We lost her two days later. [​IMG] Any advice ?? Thank you so much for all of your GREAT posts!!

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    did you check for mites around the vent area? Also if you post in the "emergencies" section I think you'd get more responses

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    If you haven't treated for lice/mites, you might want to try that. They may be present but just difficult to see. Also, have you ever wormed them? Feather loss, decreased egg production, general unthriftiness, and death can be caused byexternal as well as internal parasites if left untreated.

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

i say its the darn heat [​IMG]

5. Bideawhile

Bideawhile New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    Thank you so much! I have checked the vent area and can't see any mites. It's easy because there are no feathers there. I'm off to the store to get meds for lice/mites and parasites. I'm going to add diatamacious earth to their feed to kill internal parasites. Thanks again for your help!!

6. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    The DE only does so much... Ivermectin works good... It says its for cattle but you only use a few drops.

7. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    One of my hens did this as well, I think however it was closer to 2 yrs that she was like that. I separated her and gave her foods rich in vitamin a and e, both good for new feather growth. She started to get better and grow her new feathers. I would do the wormer, and the mite treatment like you plan. But I would also give them a boost of vitamin a and e just to help out. You can google "foods rich in vitamin a and e" and get pretty good listings.

Good luck!

8. Bideawhile

Bideawhile New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm so pleased with your responses! Don't you just love this community! WOO HOO!!

9. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    You may want to worm them as well. Also, what kind of feed do you give them? Heavy on treats or 'extras'?

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They may also need increased protein to help grow those feathers back.

While a few people use DE because they believe it prevents worms, many others are adamant that it does not. This is because is it doubtful that DE would work as intended in a wet environment. You could take a poop sample to your vet to check for internal parasites prior to worming.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by