My girls have color changing faces...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick15, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I am not sure why but when my girls are out in the sun their faces are bright red, and even in slight shade they are red, but today I was out watching them free range and they were under my deck scratching around in leaves etc. under there and their faces were peachy colored! How is this possible??? They are 14 weeks old. Ddo chickens' faces change color with temparature? 'Cause it sounds kinda weird to me...

2. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I don't know the cause, but you can turn and look away, then turn back and look at your hens, and they will change colors. My first laying hen sat on her nest last Saturday to lay an egg, and her comb and wattles were extremely pale pink.

3. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    okay.... thats good... i was scared I was seeing things [​IMG]

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I am noticing the same thing with my 16-week-old girls. I'm waiting not-so-patiently for eggs, and get excited every time I see a red face, then...it's pink or peach. I thought heat had something to do with it, and their faces seem to be less red when they're at rest, which makes sense, I suppose.

5. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    Their faces do change coloring, depending on a variety of different things. Mine turn red if they're getting fussed up about another chicken being too close, or if they want something,or if they've been running around. If they're calm, they're the more pale peachy color. My Red Stars have the larger single combs, and the tips of their combs also sometimes are a dark red or purplish. So, nothing to worry about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by