My girls have goiters this morning! Ack! They seem happy as clams and are eating/drinking okay....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrycakelady, Aug 13, 2013.

1. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Okay, my girls have been doing the 'free range' thing for about 4 weeks now, they get time in the yard anywhere from 3-6 hours a day...I went out just a few minutes ago to collect eggs...and a lot of them have their 'goiters' from yesterday! Either they have seriously chowed down this am on their feed, or they have not processed all of yesterday afternoon's goodies? They were eating, singing, drinking and just acting like they were as happy as could be.....am I worried for nothing? They were seriously wanting to get out NOW....I told them they would have to wait...some of them have not laid their eggs yet today....BTW, the poop boards were FULL.... ;)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if they have just loaded up on feed. Keep an eye on them 'just in case'.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Mine will pig out until it seems that they will burst, when the eating is good. My daughter threw out several soft tomatoes the other day. The chickens rolled away from that when they were finished.

Chris

4. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Just to update...I did not allow them out until 6 pm yesterday, so they only had about a 2.5 hour window of time.....this morning, they all look normal, yesterday morning, not so much! I was gone much of the day, and we waited late to let them out, it helped. They are such piggies! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by