My girls have grown! But when will they lay?

Half a dozen

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014
I have a white sussex a speckled chicken and a blue ranger. They are hybrids I was told and they are now about 19 weeks old. I have seen the speckled squatting a couple of times but nothing more. None of them have laid an egg yet and I was wondering when this is likely to happen? They have gone dark pink to red in the face and are quite large girls. They free range during the day and take themselves off to bed at night then we lock the coop up. I was just wondering about the egg laying and what age x,

Patience! Typical laying time is 20-22 weeks and even a little longer for some breeds. The wait will be worth it for those fresh eggs!
wee.gif

Thank you, I just wasn't sure as these are my first chickens! I'll keep waiting and checking then. Thanks again

Ohhhhh i wish she was a barred rock, i wanted a barred rock so much as i think they're beautiful. She is a hybrid that the breeder calls 'speckledy's' they're as close to a barred rock colour and that's why i chose her. The breeder sells barred rock chicks unsexed. But these are 3 of the ones she has she can sex from hatch. Well this is what i was told anyway, like i said these are my first chickens so i am (forgive the pun) winging it haha. I can and will wait for the eggs, i'm in no rush i was just curious as to when. My girls seem happy and growing so all is good. Thanks

Judging by the hens you have, I would guess you are probably in the UK. Speckledy and Blue Rangers are more common here, as are Light Sussex, compared to the USA. Columbian Rocks and Barred Rocks would have yellow legs I believe, as oppose to the white of the Sussex and Speckledy you have.

From my experience the Light Sussex will probably be the last to lay as they are quite slow to develop, being a dual purpose bird, compared to the hybrids you have, which are bred more for egg production.

When they come into lay at this time of year, it sometimes takes them a bit longer than in the spring/summer when the days are longer, so you might even be looking at 25-30 weeks. The wait for those first eggs is a killer, so I do sympathise! It's when they start teasing you by practicing the egg song and have you running to check the nest boxes several times a day, only to be disappointed, that it really gets frustrating!
barnie.gif

Yes I am in the uk! I thought they may lay later due to the weather as it is getting colder and wetter here now.

Back
Top Bottom