My girls have grown up!!!

insiderart

Obviously Insane
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Arkansas
Today I found my first eggs! I guess the girls have been laying for a couple days in secret. I found a clutch of 5 in a corner of the coop, 1 under the coop roost, and one outside in the run under a roost! 7 today! I accidentally cracked the one from outside.. it was caked in mud and poop and I was washing it under the hydrant. I knew they were close, I thought I might have heard the egg "song" yesterday, heard it for sure today inside the coop after I had found the egg in the mud. It's so funny. Fudgie and 2 hens were outside pacing just like expectant father's in the 50's. And apparently the other hen was inside enjoying the show! I opened the nest box this afternoon. I am curious about how long it will take them to find it.

Here are the 5:

29881_first_eggs_01212010.jpg

Let's see, the girls are 7 months old. Finally working girls! I put a 300 watt bulb in the coop here a few weeks ago when we had that really cold spell. I think that's what shoved them over the edge. I took it out as it was to hot for them now. Guess I should put a "red light" in there now.
lau.gif

My two hens started laying about a month ago. It is so funny to watch the roo pace up and down the fence when his girls are inside laying! I wonder if he will start handing out cigars
lol.png

I have a mini dorm fridge on a table in my dining area and I store them there, in addition to the main fridge. Usually, some neighbors buy them but I haven't had any to sell in ages. Guess I'd better make a couple of phone calls! My DH eats several for breakfast and the dog gets them and the girls get them sometimes, mixed up in oatmeal.

You must feel so proud!

My Wyandotte pullets are still new at the job, started laying in November. My one Golden is the only one who announces her delivery at the top of her voice, sounding like someone's chasing her with a hatchet. When I expected them to begin laying I opened up the nest boxes and they were very curious and inspected them frequently for a few weeks prior to laying their first eggs. All the eggs ended up in the nest boxes, I'm proud to report!

Don't you just love the tiny little starter eggs?

Back
Top Bottom