My girls have stopped laying .. Why? :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hali74, Nov 15, 2013.

1. hali74

hali74 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    I started getting worried that my girls kept sleeping outside so I shut them in their coop for the night (last night) well I'd say around 4pm when it was sunset.. And I went down around 8.30 am the next day to let them out however I was quite upset to find my girls hadn't layed any

Is it cos I shut them in and they're getting used to it? Or cos they didn't get much light yesterday? Or perhaps il get eggs later on today? ...

I shut them in cos it's cold outside.. And their coop is thoroughly cleaned once a week (I have only 2 hens and a small/medium sized plastic coop so hardly any chance of red mite/lice etc) I've also checked their feathers skin - and thankfully they're clean etc

Hope it all makes sense I'm new to the whole hen as pets business so I get worried easily..

Oh one last thing what month shall I expect no eggs - as in the which winter month?

2. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    Yeah, I used to wonder the same thing. I initially thought that less hens laid in the winter because it gives their eggs a lesser chance of "surviving" in terms of chicks. That's when a majority of responses after that said it had to do with the daylight. Makes sense, right now where I live, it's 6 p.m. and there's barely any sunlight as opposed to warmer months. My hens mostly lay in a four hour span from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. and the most eggs in a day I've gotten over the last couple weeks is 4 from 12 hens that are currently old enough to lay.

3. hali74

hali74 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013

Thanks your reply! One of my hens (Stella) has gone to lay her egg whereas pumpkin is just scratching around for food (oh why don't they just eat their pellets?) lol!

I'm gna still lock them in cos I'm getting worried about the cold, I suppose I worry about them more than getting eggs :)

I do think though that one has cocci so I've gave the treatement in the water just hope she drinks it !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by