My girls havent given me any eggs in about 2 months!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redhen, Dec 25, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What the heck is going on?? [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Chickens hibernate, didn't ya know?
    Taking a looooooonnnggggg winters nap (errrr, fall nap). [​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Everybody eats more eggs this time of year. So the hens go on strike for more treats, fancier digs, fluffier nest boxes.

shhhh.... it's a consperacy..

4. chick-george

chick-george Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    From what I can tell, most people who keep chickens use this laying "vacation" as a time to worm and medicate their flock. I'm hoping by spring everyone is healthy and ready to start earning their keep(or coop). [​IMG]
    "

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Some very likely reasons:

1 - Molting. Molting can take up to 3 months, and during that time, a hen will not lay. Often you notice it, sometimes you don't. (the feather loss, I mean)

2 - It's just that time of year. Most pullets/hens will take a 1-4 month break, and wait until the weather is right for her to begin again. I always encourage this and allow it with most of my girls, since it allows for much richer or darker colored eggs come the next spring.

3 - Stress, broodiness, predator problems, less protein, etc. These things will often cause one to stop laying for a while.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Above post. It's hard for people to answer you when you don't give us much information except for the problem. This should probably be moved to Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying. What are you giving them for protein? How much protein is in their feed?

Nick

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Its gotta be... The lil stinkers... [​IMG]

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

They are jealous of the new puppy [​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:It may be molting... i did notice that a few were looking like a molt a while back.,..
    But they've feathered back in now.
    I've had them a few winters now... this is the first time they've ALL completly stopped laying at the same time though. (my birds range in age from 3 years to 1 year old)
    They have slowed down before... but never stopped totally laying for a couple of months before...
    Its just strange... [​IMG]

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they are getting proper nutrition and water then the following applies - Exactly how old are your birds and how old were they when they started laying. Someone with more experience tell me if I'm wrong but hens will normally moult the second winter. If they were hatched spring thru fall 09 they should be moulting now and not laying. If this is their first winter you probably haven't supplemented light. I added 2 hours light at the end of the day in October. I now add 4 hours, the light comes on when it gets dim about an hour before dusk and stays on 4 hours. Never had a dip in production. They were hatched in april and didn't start laying until I added light at 23 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by