My girls having an egg laying contest....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melodym78, Mar 15, 2012.

1. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    With 70-80 degree temps in March these Hoosier gals aren't sure what the peck is going on weather wise. So they decided to have an unusual egg contest in the coop....

First there was Blanche. She is my older mixed Americana/Polish girl who likes to show the youngsters how its done!

She will lay one of these double yolkers about once every ten days...the eggs on either side are JUMBO sized...

[​IMG]

So then one of the youngsters decided she would not just sit by and let ole Blanche steal the thunder.....so she laid this egg:

[​IMG]

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

2. OMG!!

post a pic of the green next to Blanche's double yolker, i wanna see the size dif

our Orpington has decided to not let our EE steal the thunder of laying green eggs, so she started to lay almost maran colored eggs :eek: our other EE who lays light colored eggs has decided to join the contest, but she just started laying more often, she used to lay 1 egg a week now we're getting like 3 :eek:

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] WOW! That is one big egg!

4. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    That Blanche....SHE DA WOMAN NOW! [​IMG]

5. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana

Sorry I gave Blanche's egg to my friend yesterday who just loves the "real" eggs and not the store bought ones...It had a special note: "To Jeremy with Love, Blanche" Im sure it is an omelet this morning! I'll keep the long egg and the next time I will compare it...It is about 3 inches long...funniest egg I ever saw!

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Wow, fantastic! Even the shape of that green/white egg (I can't tell, the light is bad here) is astounding...

7. ya its looong and has like a bump at the end, right?

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Wonder if that one's got three yolks... it happens. :p

9. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    it sorta curves more to one side at the end....

10. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    Here are last years crazy eggs from my Bantam pen....

The looooong egg will be added to the collection....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by