My girls keep knocking over their water feeder, WHAT TO DO??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by craftymama86, Nov 25, 2010.

1. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

At the moment we're using these plastic containers we bought at Lowe's. We want to build a watering system using the waterer nipples but for now this is what we have. How should I keep the chickens from knocking it over? They don't do it to their feed container, just the water feeder, lol. I've seen them stand on it so I think they knock it over when getting off. Anyways, any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Maybe put a couple of clean bricks in them? I think I see handles too so I bet you could zip tie the handles to the fence and that should help keep them from tipping over.

3. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

The container for feed has a handle but not the water container. I think we have another container with the handle. Maybe my hubby can make another water feeder with that one then zip tie it to the fence... We do have some bricks laying around. Never cleaned on though, lol. Thanks for the ideas. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Maybe trying a lower container that is not something they would roost upon? I use a low rubber feed pan...nearly indestructible and you can empty ice out of it easily.

5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    you could put three holes in it and attatch them with roap to the top of your run?

6. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Quote:I use an oil pan I bought at Walmart made out of hard plastic. I live in Florida, so I don't have the unfortunate problem in the winter.

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

During the summer it's hard to keep enough water in my chicken yard so I put out several plastic shoe boxes for extra water. Those are really easy to tip over so I just put 3 or 4 bricks around the outside of them and they don't get tipped over. Large rocks work too.

8. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    Quote:same here, they work great and X2 on getting the ice out of'em...we also use a heater in the winter and that works great too in these... fits right in the bottom.
    Melinda

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I found that it helps to put it in the corner, instead of in the middle of the area. Can you put wire around it, attached to the corner maybe?

10. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Yes, move it into that corner nearby and put a bungee cord around it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by