My girls laid their first egg. Woohoo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepersandbuzz, Feb 5, 2017.

1. peepersandbuzz

peepersandbuzz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2016
    Folsom, California
    One of my two girls laid their first egg last night! I'm so excited. I do, however, have one question/concern. The egg was laid just outside the coop and in the dirt. Every time I put straw in their coop, they pull it out and play with it. They share the coop together. At night, I latch the door shut and let them out bright and early in the morning.

What can I do so that they keep the straw in the coop (not a big deal if they don't), but what do I need to do so they lay their eggs inside their coop. These are my first pet chickens. Any suggestions appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. eggmandoo

eggmandoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Notts, uk
    Try wood shavings ? I use them and the hens generally don't cause too much mess. Maybe you could try keeping them inside so they will learn to lay in coop.

3. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    What you could do is build a nesting box. That is probably why they laid it in the dirt and outside the coop. Between two hens one nesting box should be plenty big enough.

4. peepersandbuzz

peepersandbuzz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2016
    Folsom, California
    The coop is a 3x3 area. It has a flat area and then a step up where the girls sleep. I feel like if I were to get a shaped nest on that step, put some ceramic eggs inside, that they would lay in there. Their run is a 10x10x6 area and the coop sits in the middle of that.

What kind of wood shavings? Are there some types of woods that are harmful?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Congratulations on your first egg [​IMG]

As the others have posted, if you don't have a nesting box, adding one would be a good idea. There are tons of creative ideas for building a nesting box, some use buckets, crates or build/buy a "traditional" box.

You may also want to place a golf ball or purchase some ceramic eggs (I found mine at Tractor Supply) and place them in the nest. This "usually" will encourage them to lay their eggs there. I leave my ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes all the time, so no need to take them out once your girls start laying.

Good luck with your ladies!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by