My girls like to sit on me.

Aspen47591

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
I can't do anything in the coop without being covered in chickens. They land on my shoulders, if I have to bend over, they land on my butt. They sit on my arms. Spoiled things. They are sweeties, but spoiled.

I have one hen that flies up on me, my little red Cochin Ruby. I adore her. When I go into the coop she runs up to my feet and looks up at me with that adorable little face of hers, and pop! up she comes. I have to watch out with her though because she did peck me in the eye once - not in a mean way, I think my eyelashes looked like bugs to her.

I don't know if I'd like multiple chickens landing on me though!

I would love to have chickens like that! Mine are a little skittish, but I did finally get a few inches away from them today. I gave them the end of my wafflecone and crushed it a little for them. I'm hoping bribery will eventually work
fl.gif

lol mine used to do that but grew out of it
tongue.png
they would roost on my head if i was wearing a hoddie!

I layed down on the porch swing to read a book one day and ended up with 10 hens on my back and legs. .Made it really hard to read the book.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Isn't that fun! I have 5 hens and I'm attacked in their outdoor run. They sit on my shoulders and my legs. I have to be carefull because they like to poke at my eyebrows. Don't want to lose an eye! I have a leghorn that loves to be petted. She sits in my lap so I can rub her neck.

i have a sweet chicken that runs up to me and jumps on my sholder when i open the coop to free range

We notice that how affectionate they are is a little determined by breed...

our Banties are spoiled rotten, and all raised in my daughters room, held constantly, etc... but the seabrights want NOTHING to do with people! We have to chase and catch em (no easy fete!) and they will then be calm while held... then screach and flap away as soon as you put them down!

Also, the Males are less friendly-- especially when doing the whole "teenager pecking-order" thing....

With our 10 "Rocks" they are 9 weeks old, all raised together in daughters room... and the partrige rocks HATE to be held or picked up-- scream and flap the whole time.... yet the barred rocks come to us TO be picked up!!!!

Thats why when we ordered our next chicks (all these were gifts) we looked at temperment as well as egg-laying capability
(except of course the Polish and Turken my Daughter just HAD to have!! LMAO we call her "Ellie Mae" now!!!)

Be patient with your chickens--and be sure you are picking them up/holding them properly-- they like support under their chest/belly-- and many want to be held close--like a football...)

If you bring them very special treats whenever you go see them (we use real thick cold cooked oatmeal cut into chunks, or huge kitchen spoons of yogurt!) You'll be suprised how fast they "warm up" to ya!
wink.png

I have two production reds that are super friendly. They will jump on my lap or if I am standing they will fly up onto my shoulders. My boys like to go in there wearing hats cause then they will sit up on their heads!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom