My girls like to sit on me.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aspen47591, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    I can't do anything in the coop without being covered in chickens. They land on my shoulders, if I have to bend over, they land on my butt. They sit on my arms. Spoiled things. They are sweeties, but spoiled.

2. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I have one hen that flies up on me, my little red Cochin Ruby. I adore her. When I go into the coop she runs up to my feet and looks up at me with that adorable little face of hers, and pop! up she comes. I have to watch out with her though because she did peck me in the eye once - not in a mean way, I think my eyelashes looked like bugs to her.

I don't know if I'd like multiple chickens landing on me though!

3. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    I would love to have chickens like that! Mine are a little skittish, but I did finally get a few inches away from them today. I gave them the end of my wafflecone and crushed it a little for them. I'm hoping bribery will eventually work [​IMG]

4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    lol mine used to do that but grew out of it [​IMG] they would roost on my head if i was wearing a hoddie!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I have 2 (of 4) that do that. I'm glad 2 do it, but not all 4!

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I layed down on the porch swing to read a book one day and ended up with 10 hens on my back and legs. .Made it really hard to read the book. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. Gainesvillechickenlover

Gainesvillechickenlover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    Isn't that fun! I have 5 hens and I'm attacked in their outdoor run. They sit on my shoulders and my legs. I have to be carefull because they like to poke at my eyebrows. Don't want to lose an eye! I have a leghorn that loves to be petted. She sits in my lap so I can rub her neck.

8. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    i have a sweet chicken that runs up to me and jumps on my sholder when i open the coop to free range

9. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We notice that how affectionate they are is a little determined by breed...

our Banties are spoiled rotten, and all raised in my daughters room, held constantly, etc... but the seabrights want NOTHING to do with people! We have to chase and catch em (no easy fete!) and they will then be calm while held... then screach and flap away as soon as you put them down!

Also, the Males are less friendly-- especially when doing the whole "teenager pecking-order" thing....

With our 10 "Rocks" they are 9 weeks old, all raised together in daughters room... and the partrige rocks HATE to be held or picked up-- scream and flap the whole time.... yet the barred rocks come to us TO be picked up!!!!

Thats why when we ordered our next chicks (all these were gifts) we looked at temperment as well as egg-laying capability
    (except of course the Polish and Turken my Daughter just HAD to have!! LMAO we call her "Ellie Mae" now!!!)

Be patient with your chickens--and be sure you are picking them up/holding them properly-- they like support under their chest/belly-- and many want to be held close--like a football...)

If you bring them very special treats whenever you go see them (we use real thick cold cooked oatmeal cut into chunks, or huge kitchen spoons of yogurt!) You'll be suprised how fast they "warm up" to ya! [​IMG]

10. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have two production reds that are super friendly. They will jump on my lap or if I am standing they will fly up onto my shoulders. My boys like to go in there wearing hats cause then they will sit up on their heads!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by