My Girls Love Pomegranates

SueBaby

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Oceanside, CA
Every day or two I find a few split pomegranates on my tree. I've been giving them to my girls if I can't use them right away. I figure they are full of antioxidants, right? I have 7 pullets (4 laying, 3 are close) and they can finish one pom in about 2 minutes. Is there any reason to limit how much pom I give them? I don't mean that I would give them tons and throw off their protein ratios. I just mean can they have 1 or 2 poms a day between them along with what they get in rations and free ranging for a few hours without trouble?

And you should see my white EE after she eats some. Her whole face, beard, everything is PURPLE!
tongue.png

Quote:
I know I'm not alone when I say, we're going to need to see photos of this, please.
pop.gif

I tried pomegranates on my girls last year but they were too young. I'll have to try again. I'm not sure about them specifically, but I would think it's like everything else and provided it's just a treat and not taking away from their regular diet, then it shouldn't be an issue.

My parrot wants to come live at your house! That is his favorite food! I love them, too. They are really good for us and them.

He has to eat them outside in his travel cage or on his playstand in the shower, with the shower curtain closed, to save the walls.
lol.png

Here's a photo of Blondie after a pomegranate snack. It's not the best shot, but you get the idea.

79897_dscn2981.jpg

I have to make sure I am out of the way when I give them pieces of pom- they go at them so wildly that they splash the juice all over my pants/legs/shoes!
lol.png

I bought a couple poms at the market this week. I was wondering "huh, reckon the girls would like poms?" I'm gonna try it with this evenings snack-fest. I wonder if they make chicken bibs?
gig.gif

Oh, good gravy! Poms are still $2/each here. Will you send me a large flat-rate USPS box full?! (forget the chickens, I want them for me!)

My favorite fruit! My spoiled girls love them too!
I wish I could have my own tree! 2 for $5 at most stores here.
Good thing we only have them available for a few months out of the year, or I'd go broke!

And I have so many that I'm giving them away to friends and chickens! Too bad Fed-Ex isn't cheaper or I could set you all up! I'm actually down to the last 15 to 20 smaller ones, the season here is early and almost done.

Yeah, I can tell you feel sorry for me...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom