My girls love to sleep outside on their perch

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by breezy's girls, Feb 12, 2011.

1. breezy's girls

breezy's girls Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    But its been in the teens and lower for 2 weeks. They are out there rain, snow...whatever. Anyone else have the same issue?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They are sleeping where they have trained themselves to sleep. You need to re-train them to sleep where you want them to sleep. Sleeping outside is a dangerous situation. Not usually because of the weather but because of the possibility of predation. I am a firm believer in locking birds in a secure coop at night for their safety. Predation is my biggest issue where I live. Some birds will get it in their heads that they want to sleep out in the run, but I do not tolerate that. So, when I see a straggler perched outside I remove them from their outside perch and place them in the house on the low roosts. These stragglers are not often "low roost" birds (they are generally the more adventurous and tough birds), so they will generally make sure after a couple days of being placed on those roosts that they put themselves in the coop so they can jockey for position on the high/better roosts. It usually only takes a few days to re-train them to use the coop for sleeping.

If the outdoor sleeping problem persists a few pointers-

Make sure the coop is not too hot or stuffy/poorly vented.
    Sometimes a small light in the coop will draw them in at dusk. They may be lingering too long outside and are worried about going into a dark coop.
    Make sure there are no pests (bugs, mice, rats) inside bothering the birds at night.

Hope this helps. Good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by