My girls must think I'm a rooster...

lisebarb

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Colchester, Ontario Canada
In the past two weeks I've noticed one of my chickens acting strangely.

When I walk into the coop she squats down and spreads her wings out a little. I leaned down to pet her and she did that thing that cats do when you run your hand along their back towards their bum - she raised her bum!

Another of my hens did the same thing just yesterday - squatted down and raised her bum when I pet her.

It's kinda funny but made me wonder if this is what they do when approached by a rooster.

Several of my hens do the same thing, some like to do a little drum roll with their feet as well.

Nice to be wanted, eh!
lol.png

lol.png
You are there big daddy rooster, LOL !!! They want you to mate them. Lucky man you are !!

Are they laying yet ??

Hi,

Yes, chickens do that!

They usually start doing that when they will be laying soon. Some folks call it the "Egg Squat". Are yours nearing laying age?

Enjoy your chickens! Genie

Yep, they're assuming your the roo and you're going to jump on their back for a quick one. That's why the hens try to "flatten" their backs out, to give the roo a good perch. All of my hens do that at one time or another, even tho I have a rooster!

I had to dominate the rooster, too, so he would stop attacking me. So the pecking order put me at the top, followed by the roo and then the hens, in their own order.

BTW, if you have a rooster, he may wear the feathers off his favorite hen's back. If that happens, check out the "chicken saddles" on the forum here at BYC.
woot.gif

Helpful info and a laugh riot as well!
gig.gif

Quote:
Mine do it too. If they haven't started laying, its a fabulous tell-tale that they are about to start laying. My girls have been laying for 3 months now and they still do it the morning (or afternoon) prior to the day they need to lay.

Its also a fabulous way to catch them. I had one bird I could never catch, now she assumes the position and I can just scoop her right up!

I don't mind them thinking I'm the roo - HA!
gig.gif

Mine USED TO think I was their 'man', until they got the real thing from the rooster. I must not be as good! LOL! But then again, I' m a girl, too! Just not the same I suppose.

Quote:
That must be it because I got my first egg this morning!

Gee, if that's how it works I'll be patting them on the bum all the time!
lau.gif

It's been 4 months since I got them and I was wondering if the farmer had given me a bunch of duds because I thought they were older. I called him back to ask if maybe these birds were old gals and he said that he had given me young birds and just to wait because they should be laying any time now.

I guess he was right. I'm just waiting for 3 more so I can make an omelet.
Thanks everyone!
Barbara.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom