My girls need a new man.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickathon, Aug 15, 2014.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have a flock of hens who have grown "stuck up" to the roo that is in with them. He is an older gentleman and getting pretty long in the tooth. They are starting to avoid his more romantic advances. I have a beautiful EE rooster to take his place. He has the company of two young hens. At the time of purchase at the local TSC I was informed all would be pullets. I was shocked to find one of them a rooster. I am glad I didn't cull him because of the way the ladies are acting around my elder roo Spurs. I was wonder if this happens very often? Why would the hens reject the roo when he gets a little older? And how do I introduce them to the new roo and his present ladies? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    he may be a bit subservient to them in his old age- they want a roo who"ll take charge

3. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Put in the male at night while they are all asleep they will wake up as if he has been there forever

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    With the two pullets he came, with I would do an introduction period through a wire, Either a cage or a partition in the coop/run. Then let them mingle with the cage available to return to for a few more days. You didn't say what you are going to do with the other rooster. Sometimes the older roosters just let the young newcomer take over with out a fight, but mostly not. If you leave him in expect a power struggle at some level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by