my girls need an attitude adjustment, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catlikethief, May 20, 2008.

1. catlikethief

catlikethief Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Portland OR
    Two weeks ago I purchased 3 RIR and 2 BR that are close to egg laying age. Everything has been going great with them and they are adjusting perfectly.

Tonight I went to the feed store and just had to buy 2 more chicks (5 wks old!) The lady at the store said I could put them out during the day with the others . The older girls aren't too receptive to the idea. When will they stop pecking at the young ones? I just want to make sure they won't try to kill them.

I assume it's just them establishing their pecking order, it's so painful to watch [​IMG]

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    They will likely kill them. The chicks should be at least close to the same size as the hens before putting them in

3. catlikethief

catlikethief Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Portland OR
    Quote:Good to know! Wow, guess they'll be staying inside for a bit.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, you need to separate the chicks out until they are about the same size as your pullets. Esp. since your ratio is 5 big girls to 2 bitty girls, those big girls will be too aggressive and will most likely do damage.

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I agree with above posts. I keep mine seperate until the younger ones are able to fend for themselves. Usually around 4 months I mix them.

6. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I have some 5 week old chicks which I have been introducing to my girls for about 4 weeks now. When I first took them out I was the mother hen. I let the other hens look at them but not get close. Then as the chicks grow and the hens get use to them I allow some contact. Now at 5 weeks of age I pretty much ignore the interactions because both groups are use to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by