My girls our picking on our visiting rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babyrnlc, Jul 12, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    So we have 10 hens and they are 6 months to 1 year. One went broody so we borrowed a rooster. Well they hate him! He was a chick I raised and we gave away at 2 weeks. We introduced him during free range and they were brutal. I put him in the coop and all last night and all day today he sat on top of the water nipple thing and would not come down. when he did the girls promplty chased him back up there.

His owner said to give him a little bit longer (a few days) and if not she would let us borrow her bigger more aggressive roo. He is so pretty though and I would love a chick out of him. So is there hope? He is not crowing yet, but he was with a bunch of other roos. He is small. (I know how old he is because I raised him, he should be plenty old enough to do his thing. The girls are 3 or 4 weeks younger and are laying)

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    They are making a pecking order. After a few days they should accept him.

If it is a very submissive rooster the pecking might not stop.

If the rooster is becoming injured you may need to try a different approach. Do the chickens free range? If not, try fencing him off so he can be seen and not touched.

If he is bleeding more than a minor cut, you'll need to put some Blu-Kote on the wound after carefully cleaning it with warm water. If you would like to apply antibiotic ointment that works also.
    If his feathers are being pecked out on his back, consider making or buying a saddle.

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:He is not bleeding or anything because he is too fast. He runs and then hops up on the water bucket. The problem is he cannot eat or drink! I dont want him to starve. We have him in a cage next to the other one, with our new rescue hen that wont integrate either! We have had amazing luck before, but this time it seems they are quite happy with the way it is, "Thank you very much" and are mad at me for even attempting it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by