My Girls Staying Cool on A Hot Day!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nancypo, Aug 14, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I gave the girls some crushed ice today, in the 90's, and hot! They enjoyed it! Sarah had to put her foot it and find the perfect piece!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    wonderful shot! its been in the 100's here, and put chunks of ice in their water and spray down the run, ended up moving the banties inside- mine will actually sit on ice to cool off

3. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Our backyard is heavily shaded so it's not too bad. I might try the ice block method [​IMG]

4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Oh now I have that picture in my mind... [​IMG] A chicken sitting on a block of ice [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    That's a great pic! I give my girls a plate of ice as well...actually I gave them 2 today as it was around 100. They did a lot of panting today, poor things.

6. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes, on one of the 100+ days I did it off and on all afternoon...

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been putting veggie bits (from making pickles, jam, salads, etc) into a gladwear, adding water, and then tossing the icy lot into the coop for them to peck... they get a treat, less waste for me, and it's an icey cool treat on these 100+ degree days.

8. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Good idea! I'm going back to work next week, they'll be in the coop. My husband usually comes home at lunch, so he could give them an ice block with food to keep them cool and busy during the hot afternoon. I will let them out as soon as I get home to give more ice and let them free range...

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine like to sit on the frozen Ruby Red ice bottles...that bottle is flat and doesn't roll like the others.

Ice doesn't last long and at this time there is no end in sight to our 100+ temps. I keep the sand in the run wet so they can dig holes where they sit and cool off.

10. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes, I'm coming up with more cooling ideas. I can set up a mister near the coop, to keep it coller during the day, hubby agreed to put out some ice blocks at lunch, he even suggested a fan, which I had thought of too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by