1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My girls still not laying it is over 30 weeks, what's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Churkenduse, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I got my girls in mid July and they told me they were about 2-3 wks old then that comes out to 33 weeks. One has started in Dec. a mixed Polish, the other 2 RIR's are doing nothing, and they are supposed to be winter hardy.
    Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think there's enough daylight for them to start laying.

3. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    They must be boys. =]

Try putting a 60 watt lightbulb in the henhouse so it stays on 14-16 hours a day. They will come around.

Marcus

4. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks I was considering that, I guess it is time.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Move a BBQ close to the coop - go inside and tell them you're having a party on Saturday night - you're either serving Deviled eggs, or grilled chicken - its up to them! [​IMG]

6. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What breeds do you have? Some of the big heavy layers don't lay until nearly a year in age. The bigger the bird the longer it takes for the egg laying.

With shorter days and cold weather more energy is used in staying warm and survival than in laying eggs.

If you decide to add light to the coop please add the light in early morning - say around 4am. Let the chickens go to roost with sunset like normal - don't extend their daylight into the night.

What are they eating? Are they on starter/grower? Some people switchover to layer feed at 18 - 20 weeks but you really shouldn't give them layer feed intil they actually start to lay. They need the extra nutrients in the starter/grower.

9. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    Move a BBQ close to the coop - go inside and tell them you're having a party on Saturday night - you're either serving Deviled eggs, or grilled chicken - its up to them!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks Missprissy: I started layer feed when the other one stated laying about two months ago. They are a heavy breed RIR's

Thanks guys I am getting good stuff here.​

10. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have found in the past that it is easier for a chicken to continue laying in cold weather, than it is to start laying in the winter, if you know what I mean.

They may lay all winter next year once you get them started. I agree, hit the lights! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by