My girls stoped laying..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wwalding, Jul 7, 2010.

1. wwalding

wwalding Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Dothan,Alabama
    have 3 hens that were laying a egg every couple days or so.. have not seen an egg for over a week. they all look healthy. not sure what is going on. the only thing i had done different was i let them out all day every day for a week. i could not find any eggs in the yard. so they didnt lay them somewhere else.. i have since put them back in the coop until the evening time. still no eggs yet.. any ideas?

2. woodward farms

woodward farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    heat.... or summer vacation?

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    there are a million things that will cause birds to stop laying...

age, nutrition, heat, cold, amount of day light, a good scare, stress, they found a really good place to hide them...

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I don't know what area you live in, but it's very hot and humid here in Ohio, and my egg production is down slightly.....it's 92 today! It it very hot where you are?

Chickens tend to get kind of upset when you change their routine. It may be because you let them out for a week, then locked them up. They really really like their freedom......but keep them locked up until evening, then let them out like you're doing.....they'll start up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by