My girls think I am a roo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FlockMama, Jun 20, 2009.

1. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    So when I go to pick up my rir ladies they squat down, stomp there feet, and aim there bum towards the air [​IMG]

It doesn't really bother me, it's pretty silly actually, they are nice girls and it's happened since they both started laying there first eggs.

I would love to get a roo but I can't because of neighbors.

Is there anything I can or should do so they won't do this?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Can't stop nature. [​IMG]

3. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    hehehe, cute [​IMG] Reminds me of how cats are when in heat [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  4. They might figure it out if you pick them up when they do this. Still, we have a few roos and one of my 1 year olds will do this, even if I pick her up afterwards. [​IMG]

5. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Quote:I actually do pick them up afterwards and usually if I go to pick them up a second time the won't do it as much... [​IMG]

6. My girls continue to do this and always have, since a couple of weeks before laying their first eggs. They are around 9 months old now and if anything the squatting is even more pronounced.

I don't see why you need to stop them doing it. It isn't harming them or you, and it is completely instinctive - they do know really that you're not the roo, but their first instinct when something large looms over their back is to prepare for mating! As soon as my girls look over their shoulders they realise it is me, and they try to run off, but the squat does give me a valuable few seconds to dive in and pick them up. It's actually very handy!

Don't fret over this - it's absolutely natural behaviour. [​IMG]

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Give them a vigorous back rub. It's good to be able to handle them AND it'll satisfy their instinct to squat. They'll shake it off and go along their way.

8. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i think its cute and i can pick em up easier and as clairese has gotten older she does it more often. also its a sign that eggs are coming

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:That's what we do. Now when they squat for us, they point their tails down (clearly not helpful if we were roos!) and spread their wings out a little so that we can pet their backs. We haven't had a tail up when squatting since sometime last year. They still get their instinct to squat, but have learned that it means they can get pet or picked up (they have never been around a mature roo). [​IMG]

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

We try to encourage it too... makes it easier for our girls to find and pick them up without tons of chicken chasing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: