My girls treated themselves to Oyster Shell.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KFox, Aug 1, 2011.

1. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    My pullets range in age from 14-20 weeks.

In the last few days, some of the girls are singing the egg song, others are practicing in the nest box, others are squatting. I went and bought some layer feed and a bag of Oyster Shell. I put the Oyster Shell in the barn-on a shelf. My girls found it and ripped it open. I don't know which of them got into it and how much was eaten. I caught one in the bag. Will it hurt them to have it so soon?

I was thinking maybe they broke the bag and got into it because they felt they needed it. I just want to be sure it can't make them sick.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If they think they need it then let them have all they want. They'll fill up on it in the beginning then will only come for some every now and again.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I think they will be fine. Mine only seem to eat it when they need it. [​IMG]

4. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the responses.

I didn't know if I should trust them. Last week they thought they needed to tear open all the mulch bags. This week it's the oyster shell.

I'll get them some in a feeder and give it to them.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Mine do the same thing, if they haven't gotten any in a while they will gorge on it. Then they taper off and just pick at it when needed. I would say if they are eating it then they needed it! Besides at 14-20 weeks they should be laying soon anyhow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by