My girls were taken from me

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by colleen123, Mar 22, 2013.

1. colleen123

colleen123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Southern California
    So I had my hens Lucy and Ethel for about one week when all the sudden I had animal control come to my door and tell me that my neighbor which is a big you know what. called and complained. The animal control said I was not zoned for poltery and that I had one week to place them some were else. I couldn't believe it I was crying and every thing. I saved all my money up to buy them reasearched for a year on them to make shure I knew what I was doing to keep good care of them and make there House and run all by hand that took over 4 weeks to do. I was so devastated when this happened. I live on a quarter of an acer and I guess You need to be on a one acer to have them what? I said that's a little extreme for only two hens that don't free range.
    So I had to give them away. ITs not fair I don't live in a big city I live with cows, horses and pigs all around. Even some one has a rooster some were in my neiborhood lol. I don't care though I like to wake up to him. But I want my hens back looking in my back yard and seeing my coop empty is killing me.

2. FestiveChicken

FestiveChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2010
    just one neighbor with an issue can ruin everything. But if you took the time to research the care and to build a suitable coop and enclosure for them why didnt you check your local ordinance as well? Or clear it with you neighbors?
    We are not zoned to have chickens either. Although the city council is now stepping up to the plate on the issue. But I checked with my neighbors and was prepared for any obstacles. We have had them for about 5 years now with only one run in with the ACO. And she backed down upon my honest insistence that my girls are indeed pets.

I feel horrible for you, I really do. But you have to be responsible from the get go when bringing chickens into a neighborhood.

3. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    I'm so sorry for you and i'm sure you're devastated but i have to agree, not to kick you when you're already down. :( Checking the laws for my town was the first thing i did. Even before looking at chickens themselves.

4. colleen123

colleen123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Southern California
    Well thanks I had jumped the gun so to speak lol. But as I had to give Lucy and Ethal away I did my research and called to the animal control to get the law that states I could not have them. At which time they sent me out the stating I was zoned lol for 2 laying hens. So as soon as I found this out and had the actual law in my hand black and white, I went out and got me two wonderful pullets. They are Black copper marans. Beautiful as can be. So it all worked out.

But to just explain to you that have responded. There was no talking to this neibor she is a nusience her self. She has the entire neiborhood hating on her. So that was not an option. But I did how ever win the war.
    I will be posting my pics soon of my girls. There names have yet to discovered lol. Im waiting to see how there personalitys are. I have had them now for a month.

5. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Were your chickens where your neighbor could see them? I keep mine hidden. I asked my neighbors before I got them, and no one had a problem (that they would admit to me anyway). But, I still keep the coop/run hidden behind a stockade fence and under big holly bushes. My girls can get a little loud in the morning and I hope people think they are mourning doves or some other wild bird. I've had no problems for about 1 year now.

I'm sorry your neighbor is so awful. I talked to another lady who had big issues with a neighbor. She finally put up an 8 ft fence between them. It cost her a fortune (she had a couple acres I think), but she said it was worth it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I find it interesting that so many people do not live where fences are common. I've never lived anywhere that they were not common. The lack of a fence is very unusual everywhere I have ever lived. (excluding two years in Germany three decades ago)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by