My girls won't leave their coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbabeyta, Dec 1, 2015.

1. sbabeyta

sbabeyta New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Arvada, Colorado
    My girls, year and a half old Black Stars, have not left the coop for a few days. I open their run and they normally can't wait to get out in the morning. We live in Colorado and have some cold weather lately (in the teens at night) but normally they come out in any weather. They seem to be eating and drinking OK; they're not laying right now because one of them was molting and the other one doesn't lay then either. Any thoughts on this?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Has there been any changes in the vicinity of the run? Chickens can be quite fearful of anything new. If you've had any troubles with predators that might be a possibility. New sounds can cause fearfulness too.

3. Justso

Justso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    It could be the weather or predators, but I would consider worming them just in case. You might as well now, since they're not laying anyway. I use Valbazen 2x 10 days apart (discarding eggs for 10 days after that).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Most likely they could have experienced a predator scare that you are unaware of.
    Keep an eye out for any signs of illness, but they should be back out within a week.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto what aart said. A predator scare (or attack) is the only thing that keeps my birds in the coop. Chickens are very adaptable to cold, so that would not affect them going outside.

6. sbabeyta

sbabeyta New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Arvada, Colorado
    Thanks for the feedback. It may be our new puppy--he really wants to play with them but, as you might imagine, they're not as enthusiastic about him :) They've been coming out now, so all seems well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by