My girls won't roost at night!

Pics

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
he.gif
They are still huddling in the corner of the coop at night to sleep. I tried tonight to put them on the roost that didn't work. I started cleaning the coop today got to hot so I stopped leaving their corner were they all sleep bare floor and they managed to kick enough bedding back into the corner to sleep. They can all reach the roost. I can't figure this out anyone got any ideas?

he.gif
They are still huddling in the corner of the coop at night to sleep. I tried tonight to put them on the roost that didn't work. I started cleaning the coop today got to hot so I stopped leaving their corner were they all sleep bare floor and they managed to kick enough bedding back into the corner to sleep. They can all reach the roost. I can't figure this out anyone got any ideas?

I have the same problem but it doesn't really bug me too much. how old are they and what breed? I find giving them a small low roost starting when they are young and then slowly start raising it higher and adding more helps. some of my hens will roost but most won't... it's really weird though.

Could it be a ventilation issue? Is it warmer inside than outside? They would probably move toward the spot with a little breeze and the coolest. Is your perch wide enough? They often do better on someething like the flat side of a 2x4 or fat brandh than a broomstick type roost.

If they are young, as in still not laying, it may be they just need to grow up a little more before they learn.

If you're sure it is cofortable for them, you can try ptting him on the roost at dusk for a week or so.

Really, there is no harm in their sleeping on the floor.

Could it be a ventilation issue? Is it warmer inside than outside? They would probably move toward the spot with a little breeze and the coolest. Is your perch wide enough? They often do better on someething like the flat side of a 2x4 or fat brandh than a broomstick type roost.

If they are young, as in still not laying, it may be they just need to grow up a little more before they learn.

If you're sure it is cofortable for them, you can try ptting him on the roost at dusk for a week or so.

Really, there is no harm in their sleeping on the floor.

i agree. it might be ventilation.

not all breeds go to roost at the same age. Game are off the floor as early as possible, but I had EEs that I thought were going to lay before the learned to roost proper like.

went in to lock them down tonight and this is what I found! There is hope! That screen door you see gets cover by the outside door and there is window in the door and windows directly across from the window in the door. I was surprised to see my 2 barred rocks up on the roost. There are 2 BR, 2 BA, 2 Delawares, 2 BO and 4 golden buffs. I had all golden buffs in the past and this was never an issue. I raised these the same way I did my flocks in the past, adding a roost to there brooder. It is really hot here today you would think they would want to be were the air is cooler. I am hoping it will be monkey see monkey do now! And they are 8 weeks old.

Last edited:
At 8 weeks old mine were still in the brooder with a roost until 5 inches off the bottom. I think they will come around, still very young!

I had a roost there in the corner about 1/2 foot off the ground but they went behind it and huddled in the corner. Mine have been in the coop since 4 weeks old and weened from the light! Nice thing about getting babies in the summer time. I moved the roost they weren't using it anyway, I am in the middle of cleaning their coop but, got to hot for me. Temps will go down tomorrow and I will finish it. I can't stand the heat! I am a winter person. 90 today high humidity and 75 tomorrow with rain. But I would rather be wet from rain than swet!

It's hard to see, buy you may find that roost is a lottle close to the wall, at least when they are full size. They need room to relax and not have their head or tail touching. This also cuts down on the mount of poop that gets squirted on the wall. I can't remember whether mine are 12" or 18" from the wall.

I definitely agree, they are young yet and will learn roosting as the mature.

Egg laying varies. For them, probably an average is around 18 to 20 weeks. They were bred for early and heavy egg laying; usually "production reds" are a mix of RIR, NH red, and maybe some other stuff thrown in. Whatever the hatchery chooses.

edited to clarify and fix typos

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom