My girls wont use the new watter bottle.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Aug 1, 2011.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I've had a new watter bottle with 2 niples for about 1 week now, however, my birds hardly ever use it. I'm affraid of removing the old rabbit bottles, that they love so much, since I am in FLA and I would hate for the silly birds to dehidrate in this heat....

I have already grab each bird and "showed" them that water comes out of "those things" and I did observe 1 hen always drinking out of the new bottle.....she got all the benefits of the ice I put in there Sat and Sunday!!! But the rest of the flock still uses they rabbit bottles...

Should I just remove the rabbit bottles, I have 2, and let them figure it out? What to do, what do to?!!!

see the new and old bottles here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=547641

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Yep! On a day that you are going to be around, remove the other water bottle so that their only choice is the new one. If one has already figured out how to use it, they all will. Just keep a 1/2 eye on them and I'm sure you will find that they all figure it out and use it.

3. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Yeah I did that yesterday, while I was working outside I let the little bottles run out of water....I just seen the one using the bottle, but I held strong since they seemed ok and it wasn't too hot out.....but this Am I had to come to work and filled the lil bottles...they were like flies on poop! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by