My GLW is laying GREEN EGGS!! ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lroth217, Dec 28, 2011.

1. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    Okay so far I have found 3 green eggs in our nesting boxes and when I found the first green egg, Christmas day, I just kind of assumed (after searching BYC) that my 15 week old Easter Egger had started super early. Weird, I know, but from what I understand she is the only one who is SUPPOSED to be capable of laying green eggs.

I also have nine hens that are 23 weeks old and some started laying earlier this month, our first egg came from our BR on 12/11.

Today I was watching my 23-week old GLW do the egg dance and sing the egg song and then go into an empty nesting box and I know it was empty because I had just collected eggs. Then a few minutes later she was still in the nesting box and I reached in from the back and pulled out a still very warm GREEN EGG.

[​IMG]

Here are some of the eggs I've collected since Christmas Eve with a better view of the color in comparison of the 3 green to the brown and white eggs I am getting.

[​IMG]

Can somebody tell me what is going on here? Is this at all normal??

ANYONE????

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Maybe it isnt a GWL.... post a pic of her

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:Yes, post a pic of the GWL, and your Easter Egger (so that we can see if she's sexually mature or not. does she have a red comb? does she squat?).
    Where did you get her? EE are mixes, so maybe she has some EE blood in her, and looks like a GLW. Is she from a breeder? Or a hatchery?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  4. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    What a beautiful egg can you teach my slw how to do that? Im jealous [​IMG]

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's not what you think she is, even if she happens to appear to be.

6. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    Wyandottes lay light brown eggs. Sound like she is crossed with an Ameraucana or Easter Egger.

7. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    I got her from a hatchery and it really is a nice surprise that she lays green eggs. I don't really care if she is a mix, I will just go ahead and say that she has the best of all her ancestors!!

Here are some pics.

Meet my 23 week old Golden Laced Wyandotte,
    Hello Ezmiralda!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And my 15 week old Easter Egger,
    Hello Laverne!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not only do I now not believe that Laverne is mature enough, but like I mentioned in my first post, the egg was still really warm when I pulled it out from under Ezmiralda while she was still in the previously empty nesting box.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    It's looks like your GLW had an EE for a parent....her feathers are so very similar to my EE.
    [​IMG]
    I think she be a cross, and she is quite a pretty one, too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  9. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I think you have a beautiful Easter Egger, not a GLW!

10. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by