My goat has sore mouth

lexustami

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
St. Clairsville, OH
I noticed yesterday that my favorite goat, Peanut Butter, had sores all over his mouth. One side of his mouth looked swollen. They weren't there the day before.

I said something to my husband about it but I thought maybe it was urine burns or something since he won't leave the girls alone. They all pee on each other and his face is always covered in pee. (goats are gross too, btw. LOL)

Anyway, I just decided to do a search for "goats, mouth sores" and found out there is something called sore mouth in goats. It says it is a viral infection and you have to wait it out.

Anyone else ever has this run through their herd? I have 8 goats and 2 sheep and they all run together. I guess everyone is going to get a thorough check tomorrow morning.

I'm really worried about the secondary infections they can get from these sores. Any advice from someone who has gone through this would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Tami

My goat Willow had it when she was a baby, it was horrible for her because it was such a fight to get her to eat, I think it took about 3 weeks. She was separated from the others so no one else got it. But from what I understand now that she's had it she is immune and can't get it again, I've also heard her kids may be immune.

And the only ones of my goats that pee on themselves is the bucks, my does and wethers do not, and aren't any grosser then my dogs (and maybe less so).

Good luck!

I haven't had this in my herd, but I do recommend separating him out ASAP, along with any others that you find with sores. I'd imagine the very swollen area is already infected. You may need a vet for this to prescribe some antibiotics...

Please keep us updated!

Well, I checked them all today and 6 of the 8 have sore mouth. It obviously came from my new goats. They were quarantined but I guess it wasn't long enough.

I didn't notice it on the Pygmy's before because their mouths are black. PB is lighter colored and it was more noticeable. The pygmy's sore mouth is very mild. They may have had it for awhile and it is starting to clear up.

I disinfected their stalls and I washed their faces with an iodine/water solution. I applied some antibiotic ointment and I started PB on LA200. His mouth is in terrible shape. It looks like someone took a cheese grater to his gums and tongue. Poor guy.

How can I prepare his food so it won't be as painful to eat?

Thanks.

Tami

I've never had it that bad.
Yes, new goats to a herd can sure bring it in. The problem is that the virus lives in the scabs that will fall off. That will contaminate the soil. If they are not too far along, pen them in a small area that when it has run its course, you can burn the ground and disinfect really good. Don't forget about the waterers and feeders.

As far as I know, they can't get that same strain again, but it can get another strain. There is more than one strain of sore mouth. I was told to put WD40 on the sores, I never did it, but I even found that remedy on a goat site. It is supposed to keep the sores soft, so they don't dry out, crack and bleed. It is to help the goat be able to keep eating.
Add Mrs. Stewart's Bluing to their water. You can find it in the laundry section at the grocery stores. It is an antibacterial and is non-toxic. It will contain some of the spreading from goat to goat through drinking water. 2-3 drops per gallon of water.

Also as far as I know, you will have to let it run its course, and quarantine new goats for at least a month before allowing them to enter the herd.
I'm sorry you have to go through this, my goats didn't get it bad at all, but it was still rough to deal with.

I would feed a more powdered type of feed until they get better. You could wet it down, but you would need to remove any leftover so it doesn't mold.

Jean

If your goats have sore mouth, please!!!! please!!! wear gloves while handling them. Lambs get the same thing. It is a viral infection. Once the get it, there is nothing to be done but let it run it's course. Once they get they cannot get it again. BUT, you can get it also. It is called Orf in humans. Believe me, I got it on my thumb. I had a small scratch on the top of my thumb. It starts out like small blisters, almost like poison ivy. It gets bigger, cruster, gross looking and more painfull then you think. My doctor wanted me to come in because he had never seen it before. He had four other doctors there to look at it. I was given pain killers and told to wrap it to keep me from giving it to others and told it has to run it's course. It was a very long painful month. Animals can be vaccinated against it, but our breeder didn't spend the money. He felt it was better for them to get it while they were young that way they wouldn't get it again. It is in his barn now. I still wonder to this day, am I immune to it. I know I don't want to find out.

Quote:
Yes, I bought a package of disposable gloves. I have scratches all over my hands from my kitten and I definately didn't want to take any chances!

Thanks!

Tami

Hi! That sounds so horrid for the goats.
I am curious if it is the same *thing* the state vet identified as 'Terra Pox' in my friends goat herd.
Her girls had sore mouthes from pox-like blisters and also had blisters on their udders.
They were an unhappy bunch for a while.

They also said 'Terra Pox' is trans-species (would that be 'Orf" to humans?) and kept her under quarantine for (i forget how long it was exactly), but it was spring and most summer .
She was told by the state vet (??) that the goat vaccine was unavailable right now because they were shipping it all overseas.
If this is 'trans-species', has anyone seen it in critters that associate with goats --- chickens, dogs, etc,?

Lisa

Last edited:
Lisa,

Yes, it is the same thing. And it is trans-species. I don't know about chickens but I read it can be spread to sheep and horses.

The pygmy's are starting to clear up some and Peanut Butter is doing better as well. I give him LA200 for the infection in his mouth/throat. He is still able to eat and he runs around like nothing is wrong but I know he is in pain because he won't let me put my hands near his head... which he usually loves for me to pet his face.

This is just horrible. I wish I would have kept those pygmy's quarantined for another month. I got their pink eye cleared up and they all seemed healthy and happy so I didn't see any other reason to keep them apart. Besides, one of the pygmy's kept escaping from his pen and was running with the rest of them anyway. I still don't know how he fit through that little hole or maybe he could jump up 5 1/2 feet. (he is a really short goat)

Take care,

Tami

Back
Top Bottom