My goat is AMAZING!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by eenie114, Jun 27, 2010.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Fiona, my half saanan half lamancha, is giving a GALLON A DAY!! We are only getting this much because her babies died, [​IMG] but still!! We are making milkshakes almost everyday, custards for dessert, etc. And we are milking her, and a half lamancha half nubian, too. We have too much milk!! [​IMG] maybe its time to start selling some...

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Many people would love to have your problem!

3. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    We used to frezze our extra milk for the dry times. Goat milk was all DD could have as a new born until she was about 14.

piecemaker

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    AWESOME!!! [​IMG] Tell me about your collection methods and sanitation proceedures???? Please???

My little Saanen goat is giving a gallon a day, and my hubby insists it is unsafe and wont let anyone drink it! I have to give it to the dogs, cats and chickens! [​IMG] Such a waste! I'm hoping if I can show him someone else is milking at home and drinking it, and that I am doing the same stuff to be sanitary, he might change his mind. I cant stand to see all that yummy stuff go to animals and down the drain! I mean, whats the point of having her if we dont use the milk?!?!?

PLease share your methods. Oh, and how often do you have to milk her in a day to get a whole gallon?

5. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:So long as you wash the utter, keep your milk bucket clean, and send the first squeeze into the bushes, goat milk is perfectly safe to drink. No more or less than cows milk!

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    suzettex5, I am afraid your husband is a complete idiot. Education MIGHT help, but he may be terminal [​IMG]

7. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I'm to the point of trying to be a secret milk ninja and sneaking the goat milk into the old cow milk jugs! I DO drink the milk- dang, its goooood! (I never drink cow milk if I can help it, store bought that is) I hate to sneaky, but I just know if he tries it, he'll like it. My kids ask everyday when they can have some., I keep telling them, 'soon'.

I was just wondering if there was a special cleaner for the udder, or anything else I need to do besides pour it out of the bucket and into the jug?

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    wow, thats great shes making that much, hope it continues, congrats! [​IMG] but sorry about the baby goats, thats sad. [​IMG]

9. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    Suzettex5 here is a great website on how to for milking straining and sanatizing. Along with great cheese recipies! Mmmm i love me some goat's milk!
    http://fiascofarm.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by