1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my goats please help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by babygurl, Oct 7, 2015.

1. babygurl

babygurl New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    texas
    Hi we recently got 2 goats there about 2 mths old from a wildlife park like 5 days ago...when we got them hears grinding of teeth from female . Now botb mqle n female r having runny eyes like goopy n lil runny nose ....the female also sounds like a cough or clearing of throat ? Does anyone know what maybe? N been tokd to give them penicillin? ? Antibiotic s?? Lil help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They could have pneumonia, penicillin given daily until no symptoms are seen for three days, usually 5-7 days. I double the recommended dose, and give in the thigh muscle once a day, use a shorter needle. That's what I would do.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Oldhenlikesdogs is right. Sounds like pneumonia. I'd try penicillin first and if they do not respond change to someting else. About how much do these goats weigh? That will determine the dosage. BTW, according to the goat vets at UC Davis Veterinary College you are better off to give all shots to goats under the skin rather than in the muscle for at least two reasons. One, by giving the shot in the muscle you can hit a nerve. The animal will recover but it will walk funny for a few weeks. The second reason is that you can hit a blood vessel, and if procaine penicillin is accidentally injected into a vein the results can be lethal. In an emergency I have euthanized goats that way.

4. babygurl

babygurl New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    texas
    Thank you both of you [​IMG]

Not sure if pic uploaded or not but id say (n not good with that lol ) 50 lbs :/ hes sleeping or he d tell me .

5. babygurl

babygurl New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    texas
    [​IMG]

6. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    Did you say those goats are two months old? Did I misread your first post? They are a LOT older than two months. You didn't ask, but if they were mine I would give 5cc's of penicillin for five days if they are still sick. I give ten to a full size goat but these are minis. How are they doing, by the way? You do need to vaccinate them for tetanus and entero as soon as they are well. Get a vial of CD/T from the feed store or livestock supply. You give two shots about 4 weeks apart. That should do it.

7. babygurl

babygurl New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    texas
    Yea thats what they told us that they were around 2 mths old :( guess lied .

8. babygurl

babygurl New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    texas
    Thank you for ur help as well they r lil better but still gonna give penicillin females eyes r still goopy but more social able again n eating .....n def helps on shots info. ....it wont matter that i dont know what the wildlife place has alreaxy gave them would it

9. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    It wouldn't hurt to know what they have been given before you got them. Have you taken their temperature? Do you think they meant two years rather than two months? Two months would mean they were babies and those are mature goats.

10. babygurl

babygurl New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hey everyone thanks for all previous help . Goats r good n momma had a baby about 2 weeks now . But have a new question. Momma had this lump on neck when got her as well been watching to see if got bigger but not much . Only thing now hair looks like loss a lil on bulge n red now . Gonna take her to vet but wanted to get an idea if anyone has seen it before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by