My goats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Oct 29, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just got back from San Diego. I got to see my girls, hurray!! The little one is still very skittish and I am hoping she will chill out when she gets here, but we are prepared to keep one of her or her mom's babies to replace her if she doesn't calm down. They are penned with the buck right now and the lady we are buying them from said that he has been doing his job with the little one, but not really interested in the mom because she is already pregnant by him. I'm hoping the little one will be bred by the time we pick them up next week (she has been in with the buck for a month now).

Here is the Mom, currently named Desertwinds Heart-to-Heart:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the daughter who is currently nameless and the buck, Desertwinds Ace High:
    [​IMG]

The daughter by herself:
    [​IMG]

My husband built their enclosure while I was gone, so we only have a few more things to get and we will be all ready. Can't wait to go back next week and get them!

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Nice looking La Manchas...The doeling looks like my boy Cowboy...Usually the LM breed are very friendly. With time and patience she should calm down for you. Nice looking goats.

3. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    I personally like the Saanen Breed. But for the La Mancha Breed Owners: Do they get ear irritations or ear infections due to their small or nearly non existant ears? I was just wandering due to the hay dust or barnyard dust easily getting in their ears Vs say a Nubian. Just Curious, Thanks [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I like Saanens, but no way can I have full-size goats on my property. I need minis and since I think LaManchas are cute to begin with, mini manchas are perfect! I don't know about dirt getting in their ears since these will be my first goats. Maybe someone else will know.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    wow they are beautiful. I picked up my first La Mancha today. I can say mine had very crusty ears and I cleaned them out when I got her home.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Cute! I have never seen any of these before. Neat breed! [​IMG]

7. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    My lamanchas do get gooey build-up in their ears. The ear canal is smaller than other breeds. I do have to watch them and clean when needed.

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Also with LM breed they have a tendency to get yeast infections in their ears. I use the Wal-Mart brand of Monistat to clear it up. I use iabout 1cc for both ears and do it for 5 to 7 days. I can tell when I can smell it. Also you can test and see by putting perixide in the ar and if it gets foamy it needs to be treated. They dont like it so get ready for a bath. I check my goats when I can feel crusty outside of the ear. Also they will rub them alot also.

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Good information to know, thanks!

10. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Gosh, she has gorgeous colors right now. Any ideas on if she will stay that way or grow out of it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by