My Gold Laced Bantam Cochin "Pullet or Rooster"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Marthab1953, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Pullet or Rooster on this Gold Laced Bantam Cochin? Hatched August 26 2011 all the rest of the chicks hatched around that date have shown which sex they were a long time ago but this one I always thought was a pullet, now I think it might be a rooster by the way it is growing and the way it looks, still not much of a comb or wattles yet. And all the other young roosters have been crowing and I have not noticed it crow yet. I have noticed the last few days that the Saddle feathers are looking a little pointed by its tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are 3 months old as of yesterday...the pointedness of the saddles is from the pattern on the chick saddles look just like hackles long slinder and pointed and i dont see any saddle development yet. now it looks like this chick is developing roo hackles. not all the roos will crow if they arent the domanat roo.

it looks like you might have a little roo by the looks of the feathers if you go by the comb and wattles then it looks like a hen add in the tail which is also henish

my guess would be a hen

if you are still unsure by jan. repost pics after jan 26th (5 months old)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  3. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    pullet???

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking girl so far.

5. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    looks like my girl:)

6. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    At this point I think you have a girl [​IMG]

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Looks like a pullet to me. And a really beautiful one too! [​IMG]

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    ^ Same here. [​IMG]

9. Quote:Thank you! I will take another picture after Jan 26th, and put it back on here,

I thank everyone for their responses! I have thought it was a pullet all along till lately, so hope she is a pullet. Either would be fine, but I do have too many roosters right now. So hopefully a pullet.

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Looks like a pullet to me. And a really beautiful one too! [​IMG]

Thank you I really think it is very pretty. I only have one other Bantam Gold laced Cochin, she is kind of faded out after several years. This one is soo much darker colored.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by