my gold laced wynadotte acting sickly, runny yellow poop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Herself, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Lacey my little Wynadotte pullet (Approx 7 months) has been puffed up just setting around for a few days new. I thought it was the cold because we had been having extremely cold weather, but this morning she had yellowish poop stuck the feathers near her vent, and there was runny poop on the poop board under where she was sitting. I see her eating, but not as eagerly as the rest. She also seems very light when I picked her up.

Out of the 4 hens I have 3 are now laying. but I'm only positive of the identity of one of the layers. I wondered if she might have some kind of laying problems?

In addition to their pellets, scratch, and oster shell they get hot oatmeal mixed with yogert, applesauce, and flax seed meal every morning.

Herself

2. wyandotte freak

wyandotte freak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    B.C.
  3. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    I brought Lacey inside in the dog crate because she was just standing in the corner of the coop face to the wall everytime I checked her. I cleaned her butt, which looked red & sore around the tail. Now she is just standing in the crate, and hasn't touched the food or water I put in there yet. At least she will be warmer now, and I can keep my eye on her.

I had already looked at the good ole poop chart & it looks like the real mustard yellow stuff only runnier.

Herself
    2 Partridge Rocks. 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Gold Laced Wynadotte.
    Also Mom to Seamus Liam, a beautiful White Highland Terrier.

4. lovin my girls

lovin my girls Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Hi,
    I am sorry your girl is sick.

I just went through this exact same thing this week with our hen, Ruby.

She was acting just like your hen and had the yellow poo.

Most here were saying she had egg peritonitis.

I gave her a warm bath to help if she were egg bound, but I didn't feel any eggs inside her.

She only lived 2 days after I found her acting sick.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing. Thinking of you.

5. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
  6. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    What I find to help sometimes (saved many a chick on it), is to mix gatorade and hand drip the bird with it. put her under a heat lamp (not to hot) so she doesn't have to regulate as much, and keep giving her a cc every hour or so. The sugar shoudl spark her back up and stimulate an appetite.

7. saym

saym Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Elko, Nv
    I am having the exact same thing happening to a little RR, she's about 9 months old..I bathed her and cleaned up her butt..waited an hour and she is still standing in a corner occasionally pecking at her belly.. I don't feel any egg, but I am not very experienced at this!!!
    It's a ways to town and I am wondering if possibly sugar water would work just as well as gatorade.

Does any one have any suggestions..she is not discharging any thing more and her vent is not swollen or sore at all.
    I don't know if this is indicative of a flock problem but I just had to bring a BR in and clean her butt as she had poop matting up around her vent..she is absolutely fine now.. I have another BR that appears to have decided to molt, but she is growing her feathers back as fast as they go out..
    Just seems weird that all this is happening within two weeks..but it has been unusually warm here

8. saym

saym Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Elko, Nv
    I was hoping someone would reply! I gave her some sugar water, she perked up a little, but i need a good eye dropper or something! after her bath...made sure she was dry...and tried to feed her some yogurt..she is not receptive to eating..I had to leave for an obligation so I will be checking her early in the morning.
    Any other suggestions?[​IMG]

9. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    Bumping this up for someone to help.

How is she doing this morning?

Thinking of you.

10. saym

saym Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Elko, Nv
    Thank you! She is doing much better today..I went out expecting the worst, but she is back amidst the flock and seems to be bright eyed and almost back to normal..I did notice she excretred a very runny yellow fluid, on closer inspection it is in the noraml range for a chicken that hasn't eaten enough..I got her to eat some scrambled egg and she is one of those that doesn't like yogurt, but I tried anyway..
    So I am going to keep watching her throughout the day... I kinda think the gatorade/sugar water helped.
    I am really sorry you lost your girl...I jsut lost one to a hawk about 3months ago..I still look for her when I am doing the count! Amazing the presence thay have, personality, individuality..at least we are giving them good homes..(maybe too good sometimes!!!)
    Thanks again:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by