My Golden Comet has a huge nest...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flutterbee, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    God knows how many eggs she is sitting on, I thought it was thirteen but when I briefly lifted her up and counted (which I did for only fifteen seconds) I saw like eighteen. But they are all under her and she looks like a pancake flattened out on top of them. Like, no one is sticking out or anything. Again, I have been housesitting and didn't realize that maybe she's been collecting from the other hen I thought she kicked out of that particular hen house.

I've candled before and saw a lot of babies, I really hope I have at least one hatch next week (I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case something happens). Have any of you had hens sit on abnormally large amounts of eggs? I'm against marking eggs with anything in fear of hurting the shell so I have no idea how far along these dudes are.I know thirteen of them are at least sixteen (if not more) days along.

Please don't chide me about "how I should have been keeping track" I didn't even know she was sitting for the longest time. It's been years since I've had a broody. The chicks are supposed to hatch (if any will, again, not getting my hopes up) Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday (at the latest).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wow, stuff happens, doesn't it? I wish you luck!

3. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you so much! I hope I have some hatchers. My mother just informed me I have to find all of the chicks homes because she doesn't want any more chickens, but hopefully once she sees them, they will grow on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by