My Golden Comet Roo chick just flew on my shoulder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monarc23, Feb 9, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] I'm sitting about 3 ft from the brooder....that he JUST about 5 minutes ago mastered the art of flying up and to the rim of it to roost. Which I allowed since I knew he eventually would. But....I just looked over at him a second ago and he was staring at me...next thing I know i hear a wurr of feathers and he's on my shoulder....lol....

Is this going to be a daily thing now until I get sick of it and put him ina brooder he can't get out of? [​IMG] It's adorable....but im sure he's going to poop on me a liil more times than i'd like to experience...lol.....chicken diapers....i see them in my future...

he's 3 weeks old....well almost 4 weeks old.

Question, when do they start crowing? I assume he's always going to be my bud right? I fear my head is next for his roosting preferance...he keeps staring at my head.....*Sigh*......

LOL!

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Ah, don't let him do it, you'll end up with this kind of hat and shoulder decor everytime you go outside.
    [​IMG]

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I think you sould embrace it I would give about anything for my rooster to be that nice. But for my six week old I am going to get him a diaper because he does the same thing. But he has been, like considerate of me and never pooped until I put him down. lol But I love it when mine does it, but thats only one persons opinion. Goodluck.

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:haha that's so cute! [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I am embracing it i think it's adorable...sure....sure when he's like 5lbs and he slaps me with his wings as an adult or scratches me trying to scramble up my back im sure I wont appreciate it much, but i've had much worse (too friendly of goats that think they can treat you like a mountain..lol....).

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

make sure, if your gonna let him do it,, that ya got eye protection on,, eye lash's look like little worms [​IMG]
    and i usually say 5 ta 6 months old before crowing,,, BUT,, my "hippie mix" roo started crowing at barely 3 months [​IMG]

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:I am embracing it i think it's adorable...sure....sure when he's like 5lbs and he slaps me with his wings as an adult or scratches me trying to scramble up my back im sure I wont appreciate it much, but i've had much worse (too friendly of goats that think they can treat you like a mountain..lol....).

Even out little 2lbers hurt when they land wrong or gods forbid you aren't wearing a hat. They are roosters and occasionally decided to fly up and try to flog us from on top of our heads. That we don't tolerate at all!! Honestly if they ever do damage they will be chicken nuggets.

I think letting a rooster get the idea he can reach your shoulder or head easily is a bad idea.

8. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
  9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Maybe they're just after the eyelash mites ?
    [​IMG]

lmao ewwww LOL!

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:shesh i gotta long while to wait! LOL! Yeppers he was already looking at my eyes, i hurried up and turned my head LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by