My Goldfish Needs Help!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Apr 22, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I also posted this on the fish thread but I havent got a response yet...

Can anyone help me with my red capped oranda goldfish?

Symptoms:
    It has been floating for the past couple of days and today I walked past the tank and relized it was stuck to the filter. I immediatly shut the filter off and I moved the fish away from the filter. Now it is really weak and won't swim much.

Living Conditions:
    The fish lives with 2 other fish, a black moor and a little redish/orange one (both goldfish). They are all in a 50 gallon tank.

Food:
    I feed the goldfish pellets once every other day. And I try to feed them seaweed once a week to try and prevent swimbladder.

I also recently lost my very first goldfish to swimbladder and another calico goldfish with similar symptoms to the red capped oranda (stuck to the filter, can't swim ect.)

Please help my goldfish. Thanks.

The goldfish is 2-3 years old and it lost its red in its cap a while back if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I wish I had an answer...... but here's hoping someone can be more helpful and best wishes to your fishies. [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] So sorry but it does sound like swimbladder. I fed mine skinned peas when they had that. Also have you checked the ph in the water?

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I tested the water with this my testing kit but I lost the paper that I wrote my results on. So I am going to do the test again tommorrow. I fed the skinned peas to my other goldfish that died from swimbladder but I think the fish was too far gone to be helped because it eventually stopped eating completely.

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Thanks so much for that link you gave me! I added it to my favorites.

7. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Is he one of the "puffy" kinds of goldfish? I am not necessarily saying you should do this, but I had one that floated and I ended up sticking a needle in his swim bladder and extracting air... successfully!!!
    My mom is a nurse and told me that I had just performed a fishy thoracentesis! [​IMG]

Again, not really sure if you should stick a hypodermic needle in your goldfish, but I did it. Good luck!!

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    It isn't puffy at all. It looks the same way it always have. My other goldfish that died was REALLY fat and it was like a barrel! And I had read about sticking a needle in it. But I just couldnt do it. I checked on it this morning and I thought it was dead but it isnt it is just on its side floating. I am going to test the water and I will let you know what the results are.

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I was looking through the website that you linked me too and I found out that the fish has 'flipover disease'. Thanks so much for that link. It said it is caused by poor water quality and the nitrate levels being off. Unfortunatly there isnt much I can do for the fish. But thanks again for that link! [​IMG]

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Sadly, the goldfish died today [​IMG] But thanks for all of your help everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by