1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My good girls put themselves to bed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Real McChicks, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Real McChicks

Real McChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    Fourth night out in the coop and the little sweeties tucked themselves into the coop as soon as it started to get dark! I was so happy to not be trying to wrangle chicks out from under the coop in the dark. They have also all figured out the ramp into the coop. All we need now is for them to figure out how to use the nipple waterer!

2. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Hooray! I just started my flock of 3 this spring and it took them about the same ... 4 or 5 days to get it all figured out. I laughed thinking back to the days of trying to shoo them up there myself in the dusk. My girls use a nipple waterer. The only thing that I would say is to make sure that you have taken all of the other water sources away. They will never choose it over a bowl or trough. If you are worried that they are not getting water, offer it in a traditional waterer once or twice a day for just a short time. If you dont take all of the other options away... they will never learn. Once I committed, it took no time at all. The nipple waterers are a DREAM compared to keeping a traditional waterer full and clean.
    Good luck!!

3. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    Quote:Agree! I did the exact same thing with my water and it works great. I do keep a traditional waterer in the yard for when they are out but they have no problem using the nipple waterer when in their run.
    It also took me about 4-5 days to get them to go up that darn ramp and into "bed". It's funny to think of so many of us around the country chasing these little stinkers around just to get them to sleep! [​IMG]

4. Real McChicks

Real McChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    So- how do I teach them how the nipple waterer works? I've tried to "show" them but they arent so good at paying attention.
    Inside the coop they have a nipple waterer (so they wont spill it) They still have a regularer waterer in the run. Yesterday the spilled it and never went into the coop to drink. When my daughter checked on them and refilled the water- they seemed to be desperately thirsty (it was 98 degrees yesterday). Last night- same thing- they were in the coop with the nipple waterer but when I let them out they all ran for the water dish.

5. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I think that you just have to commit. If there isn't another source around, they will figure it out. I dont remember showing mine how to do it... although they were younger. You could certainly grab a hold of them and touch their beak to it so they get a drip of the water. I've always handled by ladies so I can grab one when I need to : ) They actually settle right in and enjoy a good pet every now and again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by