My goodness the pecking! Need help figuring this out...

bwebster

Songster
Mar 3, 2020
Connecticut
The pecking continues.... I have 5 barred rocks, and all seem to be pecking each other. I was just watching them and at least 3 out of the 5 were getting after it. The original coop I had was way too small, so I built them a new one. Nothing changed. Today I noticed its actually worse than ever, with one having an open wound. I treated the wound, and applied some 'no-pecking' lotion I got from TSC to the other barebutts. I don't have it next to me, and I forget the name, but it's a purple lotion that kinda smells like A&D and comes in a brown little bottle. This is my first attempt at using it. I did see the main agitator go near a butt with the lotion and turn away, so maybe that will help.

So far I've built them a new coop (link below to coop build because I know people will ask to see the coop lol), put pinless peepers on (they learned to peck with the glasses) and now trying this lotion.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chronicles-of-a-new-coop.1415486/page-2#post-23691752

Any ideas here? Should I wait it out with this purple goop and see? The coop is 6x8, and the run is 6x9. I feed them DuMor 16% layer crumble, and they have oyster shell available. I just very recently added the oyster shell, because a friend of mine told me it's really only needed when there are calcium issues, but I don't know if that's true or not. So now they have it. I did read somewhere that pecking may also be the hens trying to get some protein from the feathers.

Next step is making a couple dinner, but I'm not convinced the survivors will not just continue the behavior because I feel it is habitual now. I plan to extend their run in spring, because now the ground is frozen pretty solid and will be tough to get posts in.

Thanks for any help. If I do eat two, it will be disappointing because the egg production we get now is just enough for the family.

I would remove the main agitator for a few days and see if that helps, then bring her back after a week or so. Maybe her and her main henchman. Add some stuff that the picked on can hide behind. Chairs, a tree stump, tables, whatever but be sure you don’t create dead ends so the chasee can get away. Out of sight out of mind and you need to provide more than one waterer and feeder. Also, I’m not good at judging size without in being in the space, but that space doesn’t look big enough for five chickens when they’re outside. It may not have been your coop that was too small but your run space that was. A coop is usually for roosting and laying eggs, my flock spent the day outside.

I would remove the main agitator for a few days and see if that helps, then bring her back after a week or so. Maybe her and her main henchman. Add some stuff that the picked on can hide behind. Chairs, a tree stump, tables, whatever but be sure you don’t create dead ends so the chasee can get away. Out of sight out of mind and you need to provide more than one waterer and feeder. Also, I’m not good at judging size without in being in the space, but that space doesn’t look big enough for five chickens when they’re outside. It may not have been your coop that was too small but your run space that was. A coop is usually for roosting and laying eggs, my flock spent the day outside.

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I'll move my pans up to extend the run. I've already got a roll of hardware cloth, just need the lumber. I have two other waterers, but only one of the three is heated. That may need to be on the list as well, as temps won't be above freezing here at night until April.

Unfortunately, free ranging isn't an option for me currently. We did let them free range under supervision for a couple hours a day before winter, so maybe that needs to start again a well.

In your experience, is this a breakable habit?

UPDATE:

12' run extension complete. Total run is now 18 x 5.5. Coop is 6x8. I hope this helps.

IMG_20210301_090242.jpg

The pecking continues.... I have 5 barred rocks, and all seem to be pecking each other. I was just watching them and at least 3 out of the 5 were getting after it. The original coop I had was way too small, so I built them a new one. Nothing changed. Today I noticed its actually worse than ever, with one having an open wound. I treated the wound, and applied some 'no-pecking' lotion I got from TSC to the other barebutts. I don't have it next to me, and I forget the name, but it's a purple lotion that kinda smells like A&D and comes in a brown little bottle. This is my first attempt at using it. I did see the main agitator go near a butt with the lotion and turn away, so maybe that will help.

So far I've built them a new coop (link below to coop build because I know people will ask to see the coop lol), put pinless peepers on (they learned to peck with the glasses) and now trying this lotion.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chronicles-of-a-new-coop.1415486/page-2#post-23691752

Any ideas here? Should I wait it out with this purple goop and see? The coop is 6x8, and the run is 6x9. I feed them DuMor 16% layer crumble, and they have oyster shell available. I just very recently added the oyster shell, because a friend of mine told me it's really only needed when there are calcium issues, but I don't know if that's true or not. So now they have it. I did read somewhere that pecking may also be the hens trying to get some protein from the feathers.

Next step is making a couple dinner, but I'm not convinced the survivors will not just continue the behavior because I feel it is habitual now. I plan to extend their run in spring, because now the ground is frozen pretty solid and will be tough to get posts in.

Thanks for any help. If I do eat two, it will be disappointing because the egg production we get now is just enough for the family.
Have you checked for mites and lice?

I got some contaminated straw (infested).

I had to dust the flock, and exterminate the coops.

Removed all feeders, bedding etc..stripped then bombed the coops.

That was my last recourse.

I had hen completely bald.

It seemed to help.

No more problems.

Have you checked for mites and lice?

I got some contaminated straw (infested).

I had to dust the flock, and exterminate the coops.

Removed all feeders, bedding etc..stripped then bombed the coops.

That was my last recourse.

I had hen completely bald.

It seemed to help.

No more problems.
We have checked, and didn't find anything. We have one fully feathered bird, and then the rest have varying degrees of bare spots above the tails as you ride down the pecking order. I'm afraid the problem is now a habit, and we will be putting 3 in the freezer, keeping the two we never see pecking. We have 4 EEs in the basement going outside next weekend. Basically starting all over. Our new set up has 48 sqft in the coop and a little over 100 sqft outside, so hopefully all works out.

We have checked, and didn't find anything. We have one fully feathered bird, and then the rest have varying degrees of bare spots above the tails as you ride down the pecking order. I'm afraid the problem is now a habit, and we will be putting 3 in the freezer, keeping the two we never see pecking. We have 4 EEs in the basement going outside next weekend. Basically starting all over. Our new set up has 48 sqft in the coop and a little over 100 sqft outside, so hopefully all works out.

Hope that fixes it. Sometimes a bad habit just becomes impossible to break.

well said rosemary. Don't let them pick up bad habits, trust me teaching a chicken is hard.
You can remove the chicken, it won't teach it jack. And they have a surprisingly good memory, remove a chicken and it will remember its flock and the pecking order for weeks.
So to me removing a chicken is just placing the problem out of sight out of mind, but that doesn't fix it.
The coop looks great now, just shame they got so bored that they picked up this bad habit waiting

well said rosemary. Don't let them pick up bad habits, trust me teaching a chicken is hard.
You can remove the chicken, it won't teach it jack. And they have a surprisingly good memory, remove a chicken and it will remember its flock and the pecking order for weeks.
So to me removing a chicken is just placing the problem out of sight out of mind, but that doesn't fix it.
The coop looks great now, just shame they got so bored that they picked up this bad habit waiting
Yea I hope this works also. The three main offenders will be permanently taken away. Do you think the new 4, plus the 2 docile birds will form a new pecking order without excessive pecking? Is that a thing? We felt terrible that this all unfolded the way it did. Live and learn I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom