My goodness... What's up with my chickens and their foot problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FreeChicken!, Jun 8, 2011.

1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    My two White Leghorn hens (named Blanca and Delia [​IMG]), have swollen toes. This isn't an emergency because their toes aren't bothering them, but I would like to see if anyone can figure out what's wrong with their toes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and one more thing: Delia and my Buff Rock hen, Peanut, have slightly crooked toes that they hatched with as far as I know. Man, what's up with my chickens and their foot problems?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you show the bottom (underside) of their toes? Maybe the puffier parts are little foot pads or callused areas?

3. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Okay. I'll try to get some pictures there too.

4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Do a search on "bumble foot," there are some pretty detailed threads here. That first picture makes me think that could be what you're dealing with. Are there any scabs on the bottoms of the feet where they are swollen?

5. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Oh, there are many scabs all around the bottoms of their feet due to a problem last winter, so if there are any new scabs I won't be able to tell. [​IMG]
    Also, one of those chickens, Delia, died yesterday. A fox or cat or something got her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by