my goose attacked my 3 year old daughter :(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Billy-jean, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Yesterday we were all out in our(huge) yard,,geese were having their grazing time,which consists of half the day... anyways, we were out with the kids(our 3 yr old girl and 7 yr old son) and out of nowhere, our 'mean' goose just came out of nowhere and attacked my little girl,,to the point of knocking her down on the ground,got on top and gave her a few bad bruises on her legs. She wasn't bothering them or being loud,,the kids are extremely careful; and respectful towards them,and all our other animals.. This behaviour might be normal for geese,,but I won't have that happen again, and now my little animal loving daughter is traumatized from them,,and did nothing to deserve the attack! At the time,she was watching a caterpillar walk on her hand and was quiet! I don't know what is the best thing to do,,this one goose keeps trying to attack my other ducks in their enclosure that I have had for years!! I don;'t like this aggressiveness,,and I don't know anyone who would keep an animal like this if they are a threat to the children.. one is super sweet and very calm,the other is complete opposite. Any ideas? I have been careful,following the advice of experts on this site for handling them,,but with all the effort,nothing is helping with this aggressive one. I know geese have the tendency to be aggressive and territorial,that is in their nature,,but I also don't want to watch over my back every few seconds to see if the kids are being attacked ... oh,,and this same goose had my small pomeranian mix pinned and was trying to kill him..now my dog won't go down the steps to pee...which is all he was doing at the time! :((
    I am at my witts end [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Is the goose a female for sure? I'm really sorry this happened to you :( I have never experienced such a thing, but have heard of it happening. I wouldn't keep the goose myself. Maybe you can find someone who wants them that doesn't have children? I know plenty of people that don't care about their personalities, but I personally do.

I would suggest a more friendly breed..

3. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

i would say it was a male if it is this aggressive wouldn't you say axoa ... or you should get some geese like you have axoa they are so pretty and nice i love them

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't have a male, but I do think they would be more prone to attacking humans.

Yes the toulouse are a very docile breed. I always tell people my call ducks are more vicious than my geese.

5. farmer boy

lol that would be a sight to see ... i used to have geese and i was at my friends house we were outside with the geese and the other birds and the male goose starting chasing and sizing us up lol then he ran at us making his self look really big flapping his wings but i would think that was a male goose that would be more aggressive then females

6. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    I think I may have found a great home for them,,sadly I just can't risk the dangers towards my kids.(or dogs)
    I had heard of them being aggressive before I decided to adopt them,and did my best in doing things the right way..
    I have a friend who has a sanctuary,,would be a great spot for them there,, :((
    I will miss them though.

7. farmer boy

sorry to hear that but its for the best and for your kids and dogs safety

8. Donna Raybon

Donna Raybon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    So sorry to hear about the physical trauma to children and doggie.
    A little fear can be a good thing, breeds respect and prevents a child from thinking ALL animals are like their own gentle pets. I well remember my first goose trauma at about same age as your children.....OUCH! Not to mention the 'great rooster attack' (great in the sense it was about half a dozen of them after me!!!!) Farm children learned young to walk watchfully and carry a BIG stick!!!

You are doing the right thing. Wait a bit, maybe, until children a bit older and try with geese again. I got hit by a goose's wing on the forearm once and had a bone bruise, nearly breaking the bone! They can hit you reallly hard! I could see it if you had Chinese, but am quite suprised that they were Emdens. Animals all have thier own individual personalities. I have Chinese (loud, bossy!!), Emden (very, very gentle, my 'lap' geese as they love to be cuddled), and tufted Roman (who are also very gentle, quiet.) If these are young (this year hatch??) what might be going on is attempted mating type behavior??? I have seen 'teenage' geese acting this way.

Children can be especially vunerable when you are dealing with critters that are herd/flock/pack social types because these animals have pecking orders.....and among humans??? children are on bottom of human pecking order. Critters do pick up on that. I had an old wether goat who was biggest pet in the world with people as long as they were tall enough that he couldn't look them in the eye. But look out if you were a short adult or child!! He would not butt you, but instead, walk up, give you that 'hairy eyeball' look and if you did not instantly move away, he would pop you with his horns. Same thing about dogs.... we used to raise Great Pyranees. They are very gentle giants. But, we always told folks to never allow a child under 12 yo to feed them without close adult supervision.
    Donna
    Dandridge, TN in USA

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] and great advise. I too have an Embden gander and he has been very trying for me in the since of always wanting to bite and very territorial, well he is 5 yrs old now and finally I can actually walk past him without having the broom for protection. It's taken alot of work on my part but He is now a joy to be around. I don't let my guard down though because I have been bitten, slapped with wings and know enough that it can happen at any time. I do not let my grandchildren go around him unless I am there to get in between if he starts something. I am so sorry that your daughter had to go through this beeliz hopefully it won't last, the trauma. glad you were able to find them a good home.

10. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you all! It';s sad to have to give them another home,but it's going to be ok :)
    My little girl is amazing,,just this am she told me she still loves the geese,but just not when they are trying to eat her!! LOL! Poor thing,,her heart is still huge which is a great thing!
    One of the 2 embdens are wonderful,,not sure if it's the male or female,,but man this one is a softie,cuddler,chatter,just lovely! Too bad they have to stick together,,but I wouldn't separate them.
    They are only 5 or 6 months old,I rescued them in june and they were just getting their feathers,,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by